Trying to get prepared!!! Love some feedback!

memfis_stefie
on 2/5/19 11:20 am
VBG on 01/01/19

My vsg surgery will be on 3/5 and I want to get all the stuff i'll need so I can be ready and not be like well if I'd have known that i'd have made arrangements for that.

Would it be a good investment to get a lift chair? I've heard and known too many people that get hernias after they have surgery especially after stomach surgeries so I'm wondering if this would be a good thing to get.

Also what liquids would be good for me to stock up on so I won't have to make a run to the store the day after?

Any other tidbits anyone can give me would be most helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kathy S.
on 2/5/19 11:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!?

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

I would not stock up on too much. Your taste buds could change after surgery and if so, you will be stuck with foods you can't eat.

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/19 1:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Lift chairs are very expensive, and honestly might only be helpful for the first few days of post-op healing. I wouldn't think it would be worth it; instead, make sure you learn how to log-roll out of bed, and maybe hold a pillow over your abdomen, and you should be fine.

For liquids, you'll want calorie-free, caffeine-free, non-carbonated drinks. These can include Mio, Crystal Light, iced tea, sugar-free Kool Aid, and any sort of broth (chicken, beef, veggie). Make sure you have a water bottle you can keep with you, and some people also like those little 3oz paper bathroom cups because it's less intimidating to drink one of those than a jumbo bottle of water.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

memfis_stefie
on 2/6/19 6:55 am
VBG on 01/01/19

O I know all about the log-roll. My mom is a PTA and has told me countless times over the years about the correct way to get out of a bed after surgery. I had my left thyroid removed 2 years ago and boy did she lay into the aids that came to get me out of bed to walk lol

Good idea about the little cups for liquids!

Btw, awesome user name! I try to support our Memphis Roller Derby girls!

AnnieG522
on 2/6/19 5:36 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I am a bit puzzled about the lift chair question. I had my sleeve 18 months ago, at 65, and was able to be up and ambulatory despite a complication requiring they go back and and I received transfusions. I didn't need a pillow to support me, either, and I had 6 previous abdominal surgeries. If you have a health issue that might require a lift chair, speak to your physician because they can order a prescription for you, and insurance would pay for it.

I didn't want much liquid, and had to really work to get it in. Protein shakes (per my doc) counted as liquid. So I had those, chicken bone broth (it has more protein and is available from Amazon and other retailers). I liked a ginger-lemon tea with stevia. The problem with stocking up is you might not like something - your taste changes markedly. And really, its hard to understand how much less you'll want.

Be sure you get your protein, vitamins and liquids in --

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

memfis_stefie
on 2/6/19 6:39 am
VBG on 01/01/19

Thank you for your advise. Only reason for the lift chair is my mom lol she's drilled it in my head because I'm having surgery where my abdomen is that I will herniate and blah blah blah...I'm more than likely not going to get one because yes they are hecka expensive! I'll probably just get a new mattress because mine is really terrible.

On the liquids, you're right. I'm pretty picky anyway so I think I may just buy a little bit and go from there. I know I'm going to have to get over my "I hate soup" phase because I know that's part of this. It'll be a challenge for sure but me not being in pain because of my weight is more important.

I'm so glad I found this forum and all that I read form everyone on here has been super helpful.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/6/19 7:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

One thing to be aware of-- many people find that their tastes change a LOT right after surgery. For example, I hated yogurt before my sleeve, and now I absolutely love the stuff! So I would suggest having a lot of stuff in your pantry if you can, and be open to try everything again, as though it were the first time :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/12/19 10:44 am

Me and you will be surgery buddies. I'm having mine done 3/11 I guess for me I will buy lots of water. Sugar free popsicles low sodium chicken broth sugar free jello and crystal light. They will have me 2 weeks pre op and 3 weeks post op on liquid diet. How about you? And I'm nervous as heck right now.

Roselane
on 2/6/19 9:33 am, edited 2/6/19 1:35 am

Hi!

I am only four weeks out, so this was pretty recent for me. My surgery weight was 317 and I definitely didn't feel like I needed a lift chair. I wish someone had told me about the log roll, that sounds useful! I just pulled a chair near my bed and held onto that with one hand and held a pillow or hand against my abdomen with the other hand.

I ended up buying some things that were not mentioned on here (that I saw), but I found useful because I could no longer drink anything fast. I wanted something to keep my liquids cold or hot for long periods. One was a mug warmer. I also bought this to keep my water cold: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1DZZV9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b _asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, I bought this for the smaller amounts of warm liquids that I drink: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8TBBTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b _asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a little bit of a lot of different fluids and sugar free jellos. I barely touched any of them. I mostly just drank water and any calories were from some homeade bone broth that I made and froze plus diluted apple juice. My program allowed juice during the first week.

Good luck to you!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

Knitter215
on 2/6/19 10:29 am
VSG on 08/23/16

At my highest weight, my BMI was about 54. I'm 5'3" with knees that need to be replaced. My BMI was around 43 when I had surgery. I didn't have or use a lift chair. No need. (you don't say how tall you are, but with your BMI if you are in the 5'6" range for height you're probably around 325 - I was 246 when I had my surgery.)

Make sure you have water. Make sure you have chicken, beef or vegetable broths. Sugar-free jello, pudding or popsicles. Depending on your program, you may be allowed greek yogurt.

Try a few different brands of protein drinks and powders, but don't buy a ton, since you tastes may change after surgery.

I had surgery on Tuesday, went home Wednesday afternoon and went to the supermarket to shop for my family on Friday (had a kid from the store load the bags in the car and my family unloaded.) This was way easier than the two C-Sections I had for my kids!!

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Most Active