Wtf Medicaid

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/12/19 11:04 am

? I can't even read what she/he wrote. It's to long.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/15/19 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

FYI:

Upper limit of vitamin B6 intake is 100mg/day, per the NIH, which is WAY above the adult RDA of ~1.5mg. (Source)

A standard multivitamin has 5mg of B6 (source-- Centrum silver women).

If B6 toxicity is something we're supposed to worry about, I think folks are fine :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 2/15/19 4:13 pm - CA

The concern has come about because it is one of those things that can "sneak up" on you. It came to our attention (the doc's group) with one of the Costco branded calcium citrate products also had B6 in their mix. Take a multi or two per day, maybe a B complex that some take, add in 2-4 doses of Calcium citrate with B6, and you are playing with the toxicity limits. This is much like the concern that some have over Tylenol, as that is put into a number of products that one may not realize (cold medicines, sleep aids, plus basic pain relievers) and it isn't hard to go beyond the toxicity levels.

Not something to agonize over, but to be aware of.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

califsleevin
on 2/15/19 12:20 pm - CA

Julie, is there a current link to this? If it is the document that I am thinking of (which most here site as "ASMBS recommendations") that has a tabular comparison of the different procedures, it did indeed do a cut/paste job between the RNY and VSG, but it has been obsolete for some time. It may still be on their domain somewhere, but they haven't linked to it from their homepage in quite a while.

They currently have a series of articles that are pretty good (that old one was embarrassingly sloppy, even beyond your description of "lazy") and does indeed give some basic insight into the differences between the procedures, including greater deficiency risk with the bypass.

https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-procedures

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

They even give a pretty good explanation of the NSAID issue, and why it is specifically an RNY problem.

I don't mind pointing people to these articles as they do a decent job of giving a basic overview of the procedures from which further research and questions for surgeons can be formed; that old piece had so much misinformation as to be borderline negligent.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/15/19 3:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I did not mention any specific sources for the recommendation in my previous comment. Thanks for the assumption that I would send people to outdated research! :)

The one I commonly refer to is from 2017 and, by my take, seems quite thorough. Table 6 (pg 13) contains some slightly different numbers for DS patients.

https://asmbs.org/app/uploads/2008/09/ASMBS-Nutritional-Guid elines-2016-Update.pdf

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura in Texas
on 2/6/19 9:02 am

If medicaid does not come through and you only want the sleeve, make a plan to self-pay.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kassyyy13
on 2/6/19 9:10 am

I can't unfortunately:( I've got 3 kiddos, bad credit, and the price for self pay at the hospital here is $25,800. If Medicaid wont pay for it then I'll just have to have the bypass.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/19 5:14 am, edited 2/7/19 9:14 pm

If you get RNY, you would need to make sure that you supplement enough. Most people can maintain their vitamins and minerals with oral suplementation.

A lot of people go out of country to get WLS for a fraction of cost in USA. But that can create a whole new set of problems.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/12/19 11:05 am

I feel you and I have 0 kids it's so expensive. God bless I will pray you get what you want my dear.

Most Active