VSG 3 days ago...struggling with my brain

Sknopp
on 2/11/19 6:35 pm
VSG on 02/08/19

Hi all,

i just had surgery on Friday and I'm noticing that my brain is really struggling realizing my stomach is not the same size.

i knew that it would take time for me to learn my stomach but I never really thought about my brain having to catch up too.

my family was eating lasagna and I literally felt like I could eat a whole slice. Don't worry! I didn't, I wouldn't even think of it it's just bizzare that I'm struggling with an ounce of fluids at a time yet my brain still thinks I can eat regularly....

How long did it take you guys for your brain to catch up to your stomach?

mmsmom
on 2/12/19 4:29 am - Woburn, MA

Sometimes I fill my plate with food thinking a small portion won't be enough.... I am almost 5 years out... and then I eat my small portion and say, "what was I thinking??? I can't eat that much food." And then other times I look at someone who is simply going to eat a whole sandwich and think, "OMG, how can they eat that much food?" I'm not sure your brain ever truly adjusts.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Sknopp
on 2/12/19 6:23 am
VSG on 02/08/19

That's so good to know now so I can do my best to prepare for it. I thought at one point I would just have it figured out but I think it's so good to know that I will continually have to be mindful

AnnieG522
on 2/12/19 5:29 am
VSG on 10/05/17

I think mmsmom is correct. I went out with friends and we went to an Italian place. I had looked at the menu ahead, knew what I was getting, and immediately put more than 2/3 of my unbreaded chicken parm in a to-go box. No salad, no beverage and no desert. But their plates! And they ate it all. And they are not heavy, nor gluttons.

I finally started using measuring cups, and a scales because even when I fix a small plate or small bowl, I overwhelm it with what I think I'm going to eat.

I think the best "learn" for me was I can always get a bit more, if I want it. I don't think I've ever wanted it. Eating slowly, savoring COMPANY vs FOOD....

But at 16 months out, still learning....you'll get there. And trust me, liquified lasagna sounds nasty.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

skinnytrappedinfatbod
y

on 2/12/19 10:36 am

Thanks for reminding me. I need a good scale!

Gwen M.
on 2/12/19 5:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm a month shy of being five years post-op and I STILL have moments where my brain forgets.

For example, I go to Cold Stone about twice a year and I always order the middle size (it has some cutesy name I forget) and my partner always raises an eyebrow... and I manage to eat less than half :P So, yeah, I still make dumb predictions about how much I can eat.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Pure_Prairie
on 2/12/19 7:50 am
VSG on 01/10/19

I think the best "learn" for me was I can always get a bit more, if I want it. I don't think I've ever wanted it. Eating slowly, savoring COMPANY vs FOOD....

Annie G is really correct on these thoughts, I weigh everything because if I try and "eyeball it" it doesn't look like much. If I am still hungry, (which I never am) I could go back, (which I never have).

I visited with an RD last week and she asked me to give myself a mantra for when I am full but still have food on my plate. I take NO credit for this, it is Mary Poppins, but the first thing that popped into my mind:

"Enough is as good as a feast!"

So whether 2 oz of broth or 2 oz of food the key is to tell myself (my brain) that I am satisfied.

Her second portion is savoring company vs food, talking about our day, what we have coming up, and even that THIS, time with my family IS my why. When my mind is engaging in healthy positive ways over meals with my family the food is secondary.

Bottom line, I am proud of you for listening to the internal messages AND challenging them. You are on your way to success both on and off the scale!

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

Most Active