Is VSG really worth it?

MotivatedToFit
on 2/14/19 6:33 am

Hey you guys,

I've been researching VSG and have come across a lot of good reviews but I've also seen some not so good ones mentioning complications and regain. As someone who has over 100 pounds to lose and has been very overweight since I was a child. I would like to have the peace of mind of knowing this will work as I am tired of being obese. I also have no health issues besides morbid obesity and joint/ severe back pain from the weight. Will VSG actually make me sick? How was your experience with VSG and is it worth it?

catwoman7
on 2/14/19 7:00 am, edited 2/13/19 11:01 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

complications are pretty rare. They may sound more common than they actually are because people post about them when/if they experience them. Hardly anyone will post "complaining" that they've had no complications.

re: regain - yes, that's real. You have to commit to monitoring your weight, your food intake, and following the rules for the rest of your life, or the weight will come back.

Edited to add that there's a risk of developing reflux issues with VSG. Not everyone deals with this - but it's a decent-size minority (I think I've read about 30%). If you have reflux issues NOW, you might want to consider RNY instead, since there's a chance VSG will make it worse. But again, not everyone experiences this.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

mmsmom
on 2/14/19 7:16 am - Woburn, MA

I say worth it - it has changed my life for the better. Love of food doesn't go away and no surgery can do that. There may be some regain...but I'd rather regain 15 lbs than 115 pounds.

VSG on 04/28/2014

AnnieG522
on 2/14/19 7:33 am
VSG on 10/05/17

My only regret is waiting till I was 65. I've been at goal about 8 months (16 months since VGS) and no joint pain, and my other health issues resolved.

I agree that most people post about complications, not about routine recovery, the same way we post about issues we may need answers to our request help for.

I think regain happens for as many different reasons as there are people *****port regain. I was self pay, so for me the decision to spend that much money I had to truly understand it was a tool for weight loss, not an end to my responsibility.

I made the decision that this was for the rest of my life; I measure and weigh, and track my food, which I already did for many years with diabetes. I gave away "big" clothes as I outgrew them, and made up my mind I will not outgrow my jeans.

While I can, in reality, probably eat almost anything in a small quantity, and stay within my daily 1200 calories which is appropriate for my height and age, I have to choose protein first, then dense carbs, and then whatever's less for "fun" things. That said, I choose health most of the time,

Not to discourage you, but it is a first step towards controlling your weight, your life and for most of us, our health.

Best to you!

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/14/19 7:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Complications are possible with any surgery, whether it's bariatric surgery or a boob job.

Regain is almost entirely the patient's responsibility-- and I say that as someone currently fighting quite a bit of regain that is entirely my own damn fault.

Being able to lose a lot of weight and regain your health is an incredible gift. Surgery is not magic, it takes a lot of hard work and attention, but it is absolutely worth it if you can work hard and be successful.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 2/14/19 1:14 am, edited 2/14/19 1:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Regain can happen with any weight loss method, even weight loss surgery. Surgery operates on your stomach (and intestines depending on the WLS), but your stomach isn't what made you obese - your brain did that. So if you don't work to fix your brain in conjunction with the surgery, you'll probably regain as you won't be addressing the real source of the issue. It's possible to eat around any surgery - my best example of this is that ice cream is a liquid. :P

VSG can certainly "make you sick." Some people have serious problems with GERD after VSG and there's not a lot of research out there about why this happens to some people and not others. Is it the surgeon's technique? Is it something about the specific patient that predisposes them to GERD? Boyle's Law is a real thing that exists - reduced volume = increased pressure, but not everyone develops GERD after VSG so Boyle's Law isn't the only factor involved. It would be worth asking your surgeon how many of their patients have issues with GERD post-VSG and how many take daily PPIs.

Transfer addiction is also a real thing - chances are you've got an unhealthy relationship with food and that can turn into an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, or shopping, or sex; or it can turn into a different sort of unhealthy relationship with food in the form of disordered eating.

You'll need to supplement for life post-op with calcium and various other vitamins and minerals. Failing to do so can "make you sick."

Those things out of the way...

My experience with VSG has been amazing and I'm really grateful that I had the surgery. I've gotten 30 pounds under my surgeon's goal, I've run two half marathons, I'm a full time college student, and I've worked hard to address my mental health issues. None of these things would have happened without VSG. I love the life I'm living.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MotivatedToFit
on 2/14/19 7:42 pm

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like I have a lot of hard work and commitment ahead of me. I'm willing to do anything to get this weight off and keep it off.

I have heard of addiction transfer with VSG I've been in therapy for two years already so hopefully those skills I learned can help me.

Pure_Prairie
on 2/15/19 7:51 am
VSG on 01/10/19

As to worth it, yes. I didn't have diabetes (though my numbers weren't looking good) or high blood pressure pre - op much like you but I had knee, back & hip pain.

My cholesterol numbers are better than in years, and blood sugar levels are all within healthy ranges. With a 10 lb loss my knees stopped hurting, I am off all daily inflammation & pain meds, now.

I am not sure I understand your definition of "sick."

Last night I was able to put on my engagement & anniversary bands that I hadn't been able to wear for about a year now. I went on a date with my husband, a year ago my anxiety was so bad I didn't leave my house for months. When I got ready and opened the door my husband's mouth dropped open. Worth it? Yes. And I still have quiet a way to go.

This is a great group for advice, but more than that, a great group for support! Ask, ask, ask!

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

MotivatedToFit
on 2/15/19 11:58 am, edited 2/15/19 4:23 am

That is so great to hear. I also struggle with anxiety and depression so I understand. I also to tend to avoid going out because of my weight. Got my spinal xrays today turns out I have dextroscoliosis and the weight only makes the back pain more severe. It is even get hard for me to walk since my knees ache. I hope you reach you goal weight really soon!

By sick I meant like throwing off my hormonal balance and vitamin defiencies. I read some reviews about hormonal imbalance and thyroid getting thrown off because of VSG surgery. I saw another review about blood clots, and stomach ulcers. I'm worried I will have my period for months as some women also stated that as a side effect.

jdekost81
on 2/15/19 2:14 pm
VSG on 04/05/19

I am a couple months out from surgery, so i've just recently gone through the approval process (waiting on insurance now.)

My dietitian has drilled and drilled how important taking your supplements is so that you DON'T get sick and deficient in nutrients, and making sure you choose protein first.

I've been wanting to do this surgery for almost a decade and for various personal issues am finally able to now. I've done the homework, research, etc and I have to say that all of the benefits far outweigh the potential risks.

Its not an easy decision to choose something that will change you forever, but at the end of the day, I know I'm worth it.

Good luck to you!

Most Active