Revision

Jadeyesmiling
on 3/15/19 9:28 am
VSG on 02/08/16

I live in Massachusetts I'm 3 years out and I have been at the same weight for ages now. (probably close to a year) Problem is I started over 500 pounds and even after lots of hard work I am still just over 300. A lot of people go in to have surgery this weight as this is still considered super morbidly obese.

Genetically and compounded by weight I have back and knee issues, going in for physically therapy just ordered by my PC.

So, question is..did anyone have VSG in MA that knows of a doctor willing to do a revision. I have seen it in other groups, and in other states just nothing here. Obviously I worked my program losing 200 pounds and Ive kept it off so I do the work, just don't want to be stuck here. Also cant have skin removal surgery until I have lost more weight. :(

Thanks for any positive input that you may have. :)

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

Mary Gee
on 3/15/19 12:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Tracey. I had my surgery in 2014 at U-Mass in Worcester. I moved to AZ a year and a half ago. I started at 380 lbs. and now I'm at 212 lbs. I should have reached goal by now, but I didn't because I let life get in the way. Had several major upsets (deaths, house fire, move across the country, etc.). I thought about revision, but I know I still have restriction so another surgery is not necessary. I've signed up for the non-surgical program at a local weight loss surgeon's office, and met with the surgeon two weeks ago, and with nutritionist last week. I'll be going for monthly appointments and hope the accountability will keep me on track. I tried many, many times to do it on my own, without success. I basically maintained the weight loss for about two years; I managed to avoid regain. I'm now back to preplanning, weighing and measuring, tracking and journaling.

What's going on with you? Why do you think you need a revision? Have you been following the program for weight loss, or have you slipped into "maintenance mode"? Is a revision medically necessary?

Have you gone back to your surgeon's office to discuss your issues? I suggest you do that first. I struggled for a long time before I took that step, but now I'm glad I went.

I truly wish you the best of luck. Feel free to message me...maybe we can help each other.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Jadeyesmiling
on 3/15/19 3:15 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

I also had surgery at UMASS. :)

I left a message with my surgeons office to see what options were or what they thought I should do next. I probably just do need to reconnect with the team. My husband walked out right before I had surgery so I was all about recovery and supporting the kids after not working (stay at home mom) for many years.

So working a split shift, trying to manage their life stressors, cook, and function I guess Im not thriving in the lifestyle Im existing in it. :( Not where I want to be.

I do great and lose a few but I still have such a long way to go that it feels like I never lost the 200. Im still a fat person, just now one with loose skin. And I am in biweekly therapy but i'm just disappointed in where I am at. Didn't know if revision would help, or if they did that...I just didn't do this thinking I would be stuck still being an obese individual after all the hard work.

Gwen M.
on 3/15/19 12:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi! Have you talked with your surgeon? I assume you have, or you've moved, since that seems like it would be the first avenue to pursue.

Talking with your insurance might be the next option. They might be able to point you in the right direction to connect with one of their "centers of excellence" and get the ball rolling that way.

Congrats on your weight loss to date and keeping it off!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jadeyesmiling
on 3/15/19 3:16 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

I left them a message today, hoping to hear soon. Its not easy to get in with my work schedule as I work split shift driving a bus. But fingers crossed we figure it out so I can get some support moving forward. Im feeling a little lost right now being so disappointed instead of thrilled at my success. And the extra skin sucks! :(

Mary Gee
on 3/15/19 4:30 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I hear you re the loose skin! B.L.A.H.! Maybe when I reach goal (notice I didn't say if I reach goal) I'll be able to have the medically necessary boob and tummy work done because I do have rashes, etc. that I'm documenting. But I also need thighs and arms done, and a face lift. Need a whole body overhaul....but that will never happen...$$$$. It's not something I would go into debt over.

Seriously though, make an appointment with your surgeon. Then you'll figure out how to proceed. Ask about the non-surgery program. Also, have you read the Revision Board here? My understanding is revisions aren't like a new surgery, starting fresh. Weight doesn't come off easily. I know my restriction works. Eat a broiled chicken breast to check yours out.....most likely you'll feel it! Also, some insurers will only cover one WLS.

Keep us posted.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Jadeyesmiling
on 3/15/19 5:29 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

Ill try the chicken to check the restriction! Great tip. :)

hollykim
on 3/16/19 9:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 15, 2019 at 4:28 PM Pacific Time, Jadeyesmiling wrote:

I live in Massachusetts I'm 3 years out and I have been at the same weight for ages now. (probably close to a year) Problem is I started over 500 pounds and even after lots of hard work I am still just over 300. A lot of people go in to have surgery this weight as this is still considered super morbidly obese.

Genetically and compounded by weight I have back and knee issues, going in for physically therapy just ordered by my PC.

So, question is..did anyone have VSG in MA that knows of a doctor willing to do a revision. I have seen it in other groups, and in other states just nothing here. Obviously I worked my program losing 200 pounds and Ive kept it off so I do the work, just don't want to be stuck here. Also cant have skin removal surgery until I have lost more weight. :(

Thanks for any positive input that you may have. :)

when you speak of "revision" do you mean revising to the RNY or converting to the ds?

I couldn't lose the last 50 pounds I wanted to lose after losing 120 with the VSG. I was totally on program eating over 100 gms of protein and 20 or less gms of carbs a day.

I chose to convert to the ds and lost all the weight I wanted to lose and began maintenance.

if you haven't lost in a year, I would say you are eating at maintenance levels. What is a days menu like for you? Are you weighing and measuring?

If you are not doing these things and are eating at maintenance levels, no revision is going to let you start losing again. All the wls are tools, as you know.

I would drop my carbs back to 800 and eat protein mostly and keep the carbs as low as possible. Drink min 64 oz a day, preferably more.

your life style is not going to change , even if you have a revision. You have to figure out how to make it work with the lifestyle you have. Could depression be playing a part here? If so, I encourage you to talk to your pcp about it. Antidepresssnts can make a world if difference if you need them.

Jadeyesmiling
on 3/16/19 10:01 am
VSG on 02/08/16

Im on antidepressants , Im also in therapy twice a month. My water intake is probably too low. Carbs are very low. Protein levels are good.

Im not sure what else may help and thats why I reached out to my WL team.

Laura in Texas
on 3/17/19 8:06 am

It is good to see you posting again!!

Some surgeons do the VSG on people your starting weight because it is a safer surgery than those that involve malabsorption. Then they can revise it to the DS at a later date (when their patients are at a safer weight). Perhaps talk to your surgeon about this.

It does not sound like you are tracking your calories. Perhaps you can track a typical day and then cut back 500 calories a day to see if that jumpstarts your weight loss again. You could do this while you wait to see your surgeon.

Good luck!! Keep fighting four your health!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views