Doctor Advice

MotivatedToFit
on 3/23/19 8:37 am

So my father just found out he has full blown diabetes, high cholesterol, and high sugar levels. He is now being put on medication for these issues. I am highly suggesting he get the sleeve surgery with me. His doctor told him he can eat whatever he wants just in moderation and he can trick his mind into not being hungry anymore. Now all of us who have battled obesity and health know a food addict can never trick or fight their hunger. I am extremely worried and tired of doctors who put patients on medication instead of offering a permenant solution to get them off the meds. Then again some of these doctors are paid by pharmaceutical companies to put people on medication.

Laura in Texas
on 3/23/19 10:01 am

How overweight is your father? As you know, we cannot "make" anyone else do anything. He would have to want to do it himself. Maybe encourage him to go to a seminar or see your surgeon for a consult. Otherwise, be a good role model and your dad may decide to have surgery after seeing how well you do.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MotivatedToFit
on 3/23/19 10:51 am

My father is obese. I think I will lead by example and hope he comes around.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/19 1:46 pm

WLS is just getting a tool that can help you and him to lose weight.

Unfortunately snyona can eat around surgery, any WLS.

I know people IRL that had WLS, and lost significant amount of weight but because they didn't significantly change their eating habits, regained all of it back, and now they look like they gained more that they lost.

When I stoped paying very close attention to my diet and started eating normal type food, just less, I gained 25 lbs above my goal. I still made sure I ate proteins forward, and I really did not eat a lot if food (relatively) but in a year I gained 25lbs. If I didn't "wake" and took charge of my diet, I could easily gain more.

I already lost that, but I had to realy strict following my diet.

Unless you and specially your father are really dedicated to change diet and lifestyle, the weight loss may be just temporary. There are people who don't lose or lose very little even in thevfirst year post op.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MotivatedToFit
on 3/24/19 2:41 pm

I understand VSG is a tool and I am very committed to changing my lifestyle for good. I understand what I am getting myself into and the commitment it requires. After having VSG I plan to stay at a healthy weight for life.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/19 2:58 pm, edited 3/24/19 7:59 am

My comments were mostly for you to ask your father or consider those issues if your father decides to have VSG but he said not fully committed to implement changes.

In example, my sister is MO, but I doubt she would stick to the diet if she had a surgery. She doesn't plan to have any WLS. And I never would even suggest she does. I am afraid that if she had WLS , it would cause more long term damage than if she stays the way she is now.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MotivatedToFit
on 3/24/19 3:18 pm

I see what you are saying now. I agree it could cause more damage if he is not ready. I think I will just sit this one out and let him decide. All I can do is try to lead by example and trust he can lose the weight with regular diet and exercise.

Valerie G.
on 3/31/19 9:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

With full diabetes and high cholesterol, once you convince him to consider WLS, learn more about the Duodenal Switch, which has the best long-term results for Type2 diabetes (98% resolution), so well that they actually call it "cured" and are even doing the intestinal part of the DS on non-obese patients to resolve type2 diabetes. The metabolic component will also resolve the cholesterol issues because 80% of fats consumed are malabsorbed.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active