Help need to gain weight to qualify

Georgia244
on 4/4/19 3:25 pm

Hi

I had lapband about 6 years ago. All was good till about 6 months ago, I had terrible reflux gaining small amounts! Band was just not working! Had a endoscopy and my throat was just a mess. So I got the band removed. Now I am looking into the sleeve but I would need to put on 20 pounds. Anyone in this bariatric limbo? Any suggestions ? I hate to gain the weight that took so hard to take off. Any suggestions?

ladygodiva1228
on 4/5/19 7:50 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 4, 2019 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, Georgia244 wrote:

Hi

I had lapband about 6 years ago. All was good till about 6 months ago, I had terrible reflux gaining small amounts! Band was just not working! Had a endoscopy and my throat was just a mess. So I got the band removed. Now I am looking into the sleeve but I would need to put on 20 pounds. Anyone in this bariatric limbo? Any suggestions ? I hate to gain the weight that took so hard to take off. Any suggestions?

Well first off gaining weight to qualify for surgery usually never works out.

What ever doctor you had remove the band should have submitted to the insurance forms for a revision instead of just taking the band out. That why you have the band out and even if it was a few months down the road you could have had a revision done. Most of the time because there was an issue with the band insurances will cover a revision even if you are at a lower weight, unless of course there is a once in a lifetime WLS clause which some insurances have.

I had the band from 03 to 2015 when I revised to the bypass. The band caused damage to my stomach and due to the heartburn/reflux I was not a candidate for the sleeve. As a matter of fact I see many folks who go from band to sleeve end up having to revise again to the bypass.

If I were you I would not get the sleeve with your throat being a mess.

The only other thing would be self-pay for the surgery.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Amy R.
on 4/5/19 8:38 am, edited 4/5/19 1:38 am

Personally I would tread very lightly here on this public forum. Just a caution.

How much weight do you have to lose right now, today? And is the 20 pounds more required by your insurance or you surgeon?

More details would help if you can provide them. You're in a tough spot that is hard to address.

edited to ask: do you have any comorbidities? That makes a big difference sometimes.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/5/19 9:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Please be careful; gaining weight to qualify may end up considered as insurance fraud.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Amy R.
on 4/5/19 1:21 pm

You said it! I was attempting to say without saying it. Thanks for being concise and blunt; insurance fraud is real. Unfortunately once a person has been charged with that their reputation in the eyes of medical staff may never recover.

I recently watched someone apply for insurance who was immediately denied. Her medical insurance had labeled her with possible fraudulent activity. She was then also denied for Social Security disability, right off the bat.

It's a small world when we're talking insurance of all kinds so to the OP please be careful.

Most Active