Soft Food Stage

memfis_stefie
on 4/5/19 11:13 am
VBG on 01/01/19

So today I've moved to the soft food stage. Just curious to know what others tried when they were able to eat soft foods. I tried a little homemade guacamole (just mashed up avocado and tomatoes) and a thin slice of turkey breast meat. Not sure I'm ready for that. Kind of have discomfort in my stomach. Up until then I was doing premier protein shakes, some broth or just drinking soup (no creamed ones) and mashed potatoes.

What soft foods were you eating when you could eat them?

Thanks!

guyute111
on 4/5/19 1:16 pm

I love guacamole! I have been eating it with most meals. It has a ton of fiber in it. It is somewhat high in fat but I haven't had any issues with it so far. I think it helps with constipation as well, I have had zero issues with that, which was one of my big worries.

I haven't moved onto the soft foods yet I'm still on pureed. I puree 8oz of 93% lean taco seasoned ground turkey, 1/2 cup light sour cream, and 1/4 cup of salsa to go with my guacamole. I have also done refried beans pureed with a bit of chicken broth to thin them out.

Roselane
on 4/5/19 7:15 pm, edited 4/5/19 12:16 pm

My favorite meal during that phase was cod with a thin puréed pea sauce that I mixed some ricotta into. I also made some meatballs out of ground chicken, mixed in a little marinara, and melted some low fat mozzarella on top.

edited: you know, actually, I think the chicken was the next phase. Sorry!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/6/19 7:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Try these, especially the Ricotta Bake which is typically an OH favorite:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/puree d-foods.html

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Steffyren
on 4/9/19 9:47 am - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

I saw that last night on another site and am trying for dinner. The mushy stage is hard, not as hard as all liquid but hard. I cant figure out what to eat other then yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding, or soup.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/9/19 10:34 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Yes, I remember just wanting to chew something! But just stay focused because at the end of the day this phase doesn't last too long (though it my feel like it while you are in the middle of it).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/6/19 7:32 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Per my surgeon, turkey breast lunchmeat, no matter how thinly sliced, no matter how well you chew, is not a "soft food." A this point, you want things that are the consistency of pudding! Progressing your diet too quickly can cause serious problems.

Guacamole is an OK option but not optimal. You really need to be maxxing out your protein intake right now, and guac really has no protein.

Some good options for soft food, which your body may or may not tolerate:

• Greek yogurt
  • Sugar-free pudding with protein powder added
  • White fish, steamed and mashed to the consistency of mashed potatoes
  • Ricotta cheese, especially the "ricotta bake" with herbs and tomato sauce
  • Chicken or turkey, cooked with a moist method, ground into baby-food consistency in a food processor
  • Eggs, scrambled or boiled and mashed
  • Cottage cheese
  • Beans or lentils, cooked and mashed

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

memfis_stefie
on 4/7/19 6:20 am
VBG on 01/01/19

Thank you for your input. In the book I was given it said I could have some turkey but it would be thin but I had noticed after I ate a little bit of it my stomach didn't feel right so I've taken a break from it. I know I don't want to do anything to cause any complications this early on. I'll def be doing the ricotta bake. What is a good protein powder brand you would suggest I get?

Pobearsam7
on 4/7/19 8:25 am

Protein pudding is a good option you have to google bariatric online food or pudding

i did not learn about this until I was close to a yr post op

the good thing about the pudding it is instant and it makes a very small amount of pudding

I pretty much stuck to protein shakes for close to a month after post op

Kelly                

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/19 11:29 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

My favorite thing was taking a bit of flavored cream cheese (salmon was my go-to) and whirring it up in the blender with some cottage cheese. Protein pudding was good, too. I also did some creamy soups with protein powder blended in for a bit of variety.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views