Newbie Here

KatiR82
on 4/22/19 11:23 am - NJ
VSG on 06/20/19

Thank you for the advice I will look into more with the insurance then I think I do have the benefit book I have to check and see if I got it at my parent's house for sure. Have a great week.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/20/19 11:46 am

Congratulations on getting to a point that not only you are ready but that you also have support from people close to you.

I hope you get good team of doctors, because any WLS, even sleeve can change how well we absorb medication. Plus the "hormonal dump" as we lose weight can significantly change our mental health, temporarily, or full time.

Some of us used food as a mood enhancer, or stabilizer. Used food as a cooping tool to deal with stress, and emotions. When we no longer can - should do that, we need to find new ways to deal with everyday issues. Even boredom.

Some pick up new not healthy ways like alcohol, drugs, or shopping. Even excesive exercise can dangerous, not healty.

That plus obsession with food, counting, recording, etc. Even when some of us before WLS never thought it could be an issue: "Who me? I never had problem with alcohol and I can't imagine I ever would." may get surprised with something sneeking past our best judgement.

Use help that is available to you, counceling, therapy, etc.

Be wise and good luck !!

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

KatiR82
on 4/20/19 12:43 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/20/19

Hi, thank you so much for the advice I am actually looking for a new psychiatrist and therapist near me because my other psychiatrist let me go because I was doing amazingly well for so many years now that he said I really didn't need to see him anymore and to go to my general doctor to get my meds. But I really want to see a new psychiatrist and therapist now because I am going through WLS journey and I know talking to a therapist one on one will really help me out a lot. Have a great weekend.

TheWombat
on 4/20/19 8:43 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

That's a good point about using food as a mood enhancer. While I was waiting for surgery, one of the things I focused on was building new habits for dealing with stress, tiredness, sadness, etc. I even made a list of non-food ways to comfort myself, such as a nice cup of herbal tea, snuggling with my cats, watching a comedy show, or taking a nap.

TheWombat
on 4/20/19 8:47 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I was about the same weight as you before my VSG in June of last year, and I've already lost 36 kg (80 lbs). You won't know yourself once you start losing the weight. Things that used to be a struggle become easier and you'll have so much more energy.

KatiR82
on 4/21/19 10:50 am - NJ
VSG on 06/20/19

That's awesome I do have a lot of difficulty walking now and I have bad authorities on both my knees, back, hip and ankle as well. I am really glad I decided to do this WLS journey.

melody S.
on 4/25/19 1:21 pm - Morgantown, WV

I know someone else posted about this, but I wanted to give you my experience. I suffer from MI as well, and about a month out from my VSG, I got badly depressed. I spoke with my PDoc and therapist about it. My PDoc adjusted my meds, and I have felt really good ever since. But it does take a toll at first. So be prepared, and don't feel scared to talk to your doctor!

Also, don't think of this as a diet. It's your new normal that you are finding. Diets end. Our new normal is ongoing. It's for life.

There are seven days in a week and "some day" is not one of them.

KatiR82
on 4/25/19 6:37 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/20/19

Thank you so much for the great advice.

Kathy S.
on 4/26/19 7:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi KatiR82

Here are some great articles to help you get started with your journey.

The Truth About Life After WLS & Pre-Op Food Funerals

Your Metabolism & How It Works With WLS Pre-Op & Long-Term

A WLS Pre-Op: Break-Up and Goodbye Letter To My Stomach

6 Benefits to the Pre-Op Liquid Diet

If you need any help, let me know.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

KatiR82
on 4/26/19 8:54 am - NJ
VSG on 06/20/19

Hi Kathy and thank you so much for the warm welcome.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views