lost ten pounds in two weeks- do i really need the surgery?

Vanvooh
on 5/13/19 8:09 am

Hi evryone,

I have been following my drs orders and going through the process of getting approved for the VSG. That involves seeing a nutrionist who gave me a 1500 calorie a day diet to follow. I have been committed to this and done the best with it that I have done in like 15 years ! I feel great and know that either way ( surgery or not) it's time to face the wieght loss. Anyway, I lean towards not doing the surgery because I am doing well. Just wonder if any one else has gone through this or any thoughts to add.

Still open to the surgery and have not ruled anything out or in other than weightloss!!

Mary Gee
on 5/13/19 8:42 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It's great that you lost ten pounds in two weeks. But how often have you done that in the past? I dieted all my life. Kept losing and regaining.

Although I haven't reached goal yet, the surgery has helped me tremendously.

Personally, I suggest you move forward with the surgery.

Whatever your choice, best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Grim_Traveller
on 5/13/19 9:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have lost 25,000 pounds in my life. Gain 100, lose 70, gain 120, lose 80. Gain 100, lose 50. Over and over. I never kept it off until after surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

animallover1247
on 5/13/19 9:40 am

It's the nature of obesity to lose, gain, lose. It's a vicious cycle. The chances of you getting the weight off and keeping it off is less than 5 percent. Some say it's about 1 percent. So yes..you do need the surgery.

hollykim
on 5/13/19 10:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 13, 2019 at 3:09 PM Pacific Time, Vanvooh wrote:

Hi evryone,

I have been following my drs orders and going through the process of getting approved for the VSG. That involves seeing a nutrionist who gave me a 1500 calorie a day diet to follow. I have been committed to this and done the best with it that I have done in like 15 years ! I feel great and know that either way ( surgery or not) it's time to face the wieght loss. Anyway, I lean towards not doing the surgery because I am doing well. Just wonder if any one else has gone through this or any thoughts to add.

Still open to the surgery and have not ruled anything out or in other than weightloss!!

yes you need the surgery. That 10 pound loss is water weight. Not fat loss.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/14/19 11:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's great that you've lost the weight. But can you KEEP it off? The biggest benefit of bariatric surgery is that it gives folks a much better chance of maintaining their weight loss and ending the cycle of yo-yo dieting and regain.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 5/15/19 12:34 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If this is your first time dieting - it doesn't hurt to give it a try. I can tell you that the most I ever lost was 22 pounds, and it took me 16 months to do it....then I gained.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Vanvooh
on 5/16/19 9:08 am

No.. It is not my first time dieting but I have not been focussed or really been committed to it in over 15 years. So its the first real effort in quite a long time. However, I am now down 13 pounds and finding it not too bad to manage. I know I can be successful.. however still have not ruled out surgery just figuring I have to lose weight no matter how, so I might as well get focussed

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/19 7:03 am

If you are not sure, don't do the surgery.

Most of us tried really EVERYTHING o lose o. The past only to regain over and over.

But app 5% people who are committed to losing weight without surgery can maintain it long term. You may be one of 5 in every 100 people who can lose weight and maintain it. Give it your best.

Once you have surgery and, God forbid had any complications, you would regret ever doing it.

Don't rush into surgery if you really think you can do without.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jmk187
on 5/21/19 7:22 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I asked myself that same question month 4 of my pre-op on my last 1on1 nutrition appointment. And I came to the conclusion that yes I need this because I have a history of losing and regaining large amounts of weight. About 16 years worth. For me wls was truly the only thing I hadn't tried.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views