Revision after VSG

marynabil
on 5/26/19 4:46 pm

I visited my surgeon today and I was shocked. I have hernia and the only way to fix it is revision surgery he give me two options bypass or DS which I never know about before but I don't want to go through this again and I just gained 30 pound I can't believe that I got myself hernia I'm so frustrated of myself so what is the best option ? or should I wait and don't get the revision. I'm so confused two operation in less than two years that is so hard

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/26/19 7:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I would suggest getting a second opinion. I currently have a hiatal hernia, and my surgeon said he could either just repair the hernia, or do the repair and convert to RNY (I have GERD) at the same time.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Pobearsam7
on 5/27/19 4:10 am

I never heard of a doctor making that recommendation before

i got a hernia about 5 yrs post wls and when I met with my wls he never mentioned a revision

I would think it may help to get a 2nd opinion so that you are clear what your options are

Kelly                

Laura in Texas
on 5/27/19 10:19 am

Why does the hernia require you to get a revision? I am confused. Get a second opinion.

At 18 months you are gaining because you did not learn new healthy eating habits. Perhaps a weight loss support group, good nutritionist, or therapy would help you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

veggiegal10
on 5/29/19 11:29 am

I developed a hernia several years after surgery too; and I had gained some of the weight back as well. I had pretty severe heartburn (GERD) as a result of the hernia. My surgeon said (half-recommended) converting to a gastric bypass from my gastric sleeve as the most certain way to resolve the GERD.

I didn't want a bypass the first time around and I definitely didn't want it later. He said he would repair the hernia and not change the sleeve and it's been perfect ever since! My GERD went away after I healed from surgery and was able to wean myself of the Prilosec (I actually wrote a post on this way back if you want to check it out).

Long story short - you should definitely get a second opinion.

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views