How Much Time off work?

Vanvooh
on 5/29/19 2:00 pm

HI All,

I work from home and am getting close to getting this surgery scheduled. I was wondering how much time you all took off from work. I am hoping to maybe do this in August but October could work as well depending on how much time I need off.

Thanks !

White Dove
on 5/29/19 2:47 pm - Warren, OH

You definitely will not be able to go back the same day. Give yourself a bit of time to feel better. I had surgery on a Tuesday and went back the following Monday, but it was RNY.

I could have gone back on Friday, but took the weekend off.

Most people seem to take about two weeks off.

Some take off a month or longer. Everyone is different. The insurance company that paid time off for the company I worked for at the time suggested two weeks.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/29/19 3:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Two weeks is probably the average, assuming you have laproscopic surgery. I could have taken a third week off, because I was so exhausted, but I was able to do my desk job after two weeks at home.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Pobearsam7
on 5/29/19 5:43 pm

I took off 7 weeks I had my wls June 2012

i needed the time to heal and rest I had my hernia repaired last summer and I took 6 wks off which I needed

everyone is different

it really depends on how much movement you have to do once you have healed

Kelly                

Roselane
on 5/29/19 6:47 pm

I also work from home. I had surgery on Wednesday and started back the next Monday, but I don't recommend this. I was fairly out of it and making dumb mistakes even though I was off pain meds by the time I went back and was able to rest midday. I thought I could do it because other people on here were able to, but it was a mistake. People really vary tremendously with their recovery time.

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

catwoman7
on 5/29/19 8:12 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I took off three weeks but could have gone back after two if I had to. I had a desk job. I was glad I had that third week, though, because I was still pretty tired and had just started on purees. I was still discovering what foods I could tolerate and what I really couldn't. It's easier to do that at home than it is if you're at an office - but then, you work from home, so..

TheWombat
on 5/30/19 10:51 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I have a desk job, and I'm in the office three days a week, working from home the other two days. My surgeon recommended taking a month off, and so that's what I went with. I could have gone back a bit sooner, but I was very glad for the extra time. The main problem for me was that I would get exhausted very easily.

Kathy S.
on 5/30/19 5:19 pm - Lexington, KY
VSG on 02/15/19
I'm a 64-year-old professor, so I can sit or stand most of my time at work. I had surgery on a Friday and went back to work the next Wednesday. I had very little nausea, and I was able to sip water and protein shakes from the day after surgery. I feel that helped with my quick recovery.

Good luck with your scheduling!

Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished.
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Richard Bach

jroowoo
on 6/4/19 7:20 am
VSG on 05/24/19 with

I just returned to work as a teacher yesterday. 10 days post op and I feel fine. Definitely need a solid week mostly for the anesthesia to fully wear off. That was my case lingering effects from that, but I feel great now.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/19 8:28 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

I took less than a week off. I was doing some work from home part time a couple of days after my surgery, but my work is not strenous, just stressful. But I'm also the crazy woman who was working less than a week out from shoulder replacement surgery. That's just to let you know that there will be a wide range of answers, but the right answer for you might not be among them.

I think there are a number of factors to consider: Likelihood that you'll also need a hernia repair when they go in (higher likelihood the higher your BMI); tolerance to pain, surgeon preference (big one!), how strenuous your job is and your own pain tolerance.

My best suggestion is to talk it over with your surgeon to get their advice. If you're someone with a low pain tolerance, you should tell your surgeon because it may affect your ability to return to work in a healthy frame of mind.

Also, something people may not tell you is that you'll likely be a bit tired for a few weeks after surgery from the general anesthesia, the surgery and your body adjusting to less nutrition as your stomach is healing. You should factor that in as well.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views