Arthritis pain

Jinxy6
on 6/4/19 9:02 am - SC

Greetings all,

I am three weeks post-op today and incredibly grateful for how well everything has gone. However, those anti-inflammatory meds that I thought weren't doing anything were apparently doing a lot. I am really struggling with pain mainly in my knee and hip. I have tried topicals with no relief. I am wondering what solutions you guys have discovered. I know it will probably get better as the weight drops but meanwhile, ouch, ouch and ouch! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Blessings to you all.

White Dove
on 6/4/19 1:38 pm - Warren, OH

I only use Biofreeze

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

RobbieMcKenney
on 6/4/19 3:29 pm

I went back on Mobic within a few weeks of surgery. In the meantime, I used a knee brace and Ted's pain cream.

OnlineAnnie
on 6/4/19 3:50 pm

I used to have a lot of knee pain and could hardly walk some days. Glucosamine sulfate did a fantastic job, making the pain almost zero. I think you need to take it for some weeks before you feel the effects. Now that I've lost 75 pounds I don't take anything for the pain and can hike for an hour or play sand volleyball with hardly any twinge of pain at all. Good luck to you!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/5/19 4:57 am - Burleson, TX

I have been using Magnesium Oil SPRAY. I learned of it, from an OH friend. I only paid about $12, for an 8oz bottle, on Amazon, and it has lasted me several months, already...

It has been an absolute gamechanger, for me !!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/19 8:53 am, edited 6/5/19 1:53 am

Sometimes, arthritic pain can get better with diet. There are foods that can aggregate the autoimmune condition, making it worse. Hopefully as you lose weight, the pain may get better.

Check AIP - Autoimmune Protocol .

"

AIP diet is a version of the Paleo diet, designed to help treat automimmune diseases. Also known as the paleo autoimmune protocol, the AIP diet is a much stricter version of the Paleo diet (which is based on meat, fish, vegetables, nuts and seeds)."

My arthritis gets much worse, often waking me up in a middle of the night when I stray from my diet. My diet needs to be even more restricted, because also have gut issues and done high fiber foods like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc are not good for me. They can cause in me a lot if gas and discomfort (horrible pain). As for AIP - trying that diet for 2 weeks then doing good challenge days, when you introduce one food a day, may show you if your pains can be limited. I.e I never get pain free, but by following strict diet I can limit the pain from 9-10, to 4-5. I also have back (spine issues) and the restricted diet also helps my back pain. On top of that - I got tested for food allergies, and when I try to ignore that and eat food that my body is allergic to, my body overall inflammation increases and my joints hurt me. As others already mentioned it I use biofreeze, lidocaine patches, arthritic creams, magnesium oil and magnesium+MSM,+ CBD cream. I use CBD oil (I am not convinced it works for me).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/6/19 5:01 am - Burleson, TX

EVERY time you post I learn SO much!!!! You need to write a book !!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

califsleevin
on 6/5/19 10:40 am - CA

What is your surgeon's position on the use of anti-inflammatories (as opposed to online rumors or outdated "ASMBS recommendations")? The VSG is more tolerant of them than the RNY, and generally the more and longer experienced surgeons are with the sleeve, the more amenable they are to their use (and many surgeons remain scared ****less of them due to their bypass experience.)

As HALAB suggests, diet can have an influence on this, as it does with many things. A consult with an RD may be in order (as that is what they do!) and there is often more influences than what one may find online with what are often "line extensions" of fading fad diets used to extend their commercial life in the face of declining sales once people find that the general health and weightloss claims are illusory.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/19 12:00 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

Topical diclofenac gel was really helpful for me. It's technically an anti-inflammatory, but as a topical, it should be fine (confirm with your surgeon). Tylenol, while not an anti-inflammatory, can help ease the pain. You can also alternate ice and heat as needed. Don't forget to be active as well. Activity is the best thing to keep joints mobile and decrease pain. You can also check into physical therapy. Sometimes they can help you to target exercises to strengthen the support around your joints and that can help to ease arthritis pain as well.

The good news is that as you lose weight, your arthritis pain will likely get better. I don't have to use anything for arthritis pain any more and rarely even think about the fact that I have arthritis in my knees because it rarely bothers me.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/6/19 8:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Topical NSAIDs are also absorbed in the bloodstream and can lead to ulcers, so if your surgeon says no NSAIDs, the topical stuff is also a no-go.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active