How often do you eat?

Nurse8724
on 6/5/19 4:49 pm

Hello y'all I'm 3 weeks post op now and on puree. Meal prepping in 2 oz containers. How often did you eat during this stage and how often do you eat now and how far out are you? I've been eating 2 oz at a time 3 x daily plus 1 or 2 protein shakes a day....

Amy R.
on 6/5/19 5:14 pm

At that early stage a lot of us were still following our surgeon's instructions on diet and food progression etc. You might check your post op eating instructions and if you don't see and answer, give a quick call to your nurse.

I'd bet every couple of hours or three but I'm a long way out and things may have changed.

White Dove
on 6/6/19 6:33 am - Warren, OH

At eleven years out, I eat five times a day, with four hours between.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 6/6/19 11:26 am
VSG on 06/11/18

At that point my focus (and my dietitian's focus) wasn't really on a specific number of meals, or even a specific number of calories or grams of protein (yet). Instead, it was on 1) getting plenty of fluids, and 2) slowly experimenting with new foods according to the schedule I was given, and finding out what foods I could tolerate and in what quantities. I think it was something like 4 to 6 "meals" a day, but some of those meals were literally just one or two bites of something.

Sorry if that's kind of vague. It was an exciting time, but also a bit overwhelming at times, particularly trying to juggle the timing of drinking fluids vs eating meals.

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/19 8:50 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

At 3 weeks post op a typical day for me was the following:

B: 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, decaf tea

S: 1/2 protein shake

L: 1/4 cup split pea soup

D: 1/4 cup tomato soup

renjenn
on 7/15/19 12:57 pm

My instructions were to TRY to eat at least 15 g of protein at least every 3-4 hours. in order to get 80 g of protein a day I had to eat 6 times or more. I think I ate every 2 -3 hours. I felt like I was always eating. and since you can't drink 30 min before or after eating, I always had something going in even though it was really slow. I think a shake took 4 hours to drink in the beginning.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views