VSG and GERD

KayLaw4170
on 7/31/19 6:54 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Ok but what if my doctor refuses to switch me (for some stupid reason) to the RNY bypass- can I go elsewhere but still have the 5 months of supervised diet and all the required tests etc count at a different place? Bc if he doesn't either give me a damn better reason than "it'll be ok" or switch my surgery then I am and will go to another hospital. But I'm worried about the months I've already out in this journey! I was prepared for VSG, haven't read up on much of the RNY or anything yet.

KayLaw4170
on 7/31/19 7:01 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Also I was thinking because the VSG is fairly new and I've read they don't really know the long term effects of it like with the other bypass surgeries that have been around longer, then this GERD issue may be something they're just beginning to realize is a big issue so maybe (hopefully) they'll be less likely to actually do the surgery on people with pre existing gerd. Also maybe they'll find better ways of dealing with it.

It's scary bc were almost like guinea pigs in that we are trying out this newer procedure and having to cope with the possible effects that come along with it

littlekaty
on 7/7/19 6:00 pm - Tacoma, WA
VSG on 06/03/19

I developed GERD after having VSG. It's under control with medication but if you already have GERD I wouldn't have VSG

Frank_M
on 7/8/19 9:11 am
VSG on 05/14/19 with

I had really bad heartburn prior to VSG. It was my main concern with the surgery. It's been nearly 2 months since the surgery and I've only had slight heartburn once. I do take a prescription called pantoprazole and it works well for me. I think one of the issues prior to VSG was that I overate- a lot. Maybe thats why my heartburn was extreme. Now I don't worry about it.

You should find a doctor you trust. I went to my local surgeon first and had doubts. When it comes to your life, don't feel bad saying a particular doctor is not right for you.

KayLaw4170
on 7/31/19 6:49 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Yes same with me..it seems I only suffer from bad heartburn when I overeat or eat certain acidic foods. I'm still going to push the issue with the weight loss center again because after all these responses I'm feeling even more worried about having VSG. I thought it would be the best option bc it's an easier, less invasive surgery and less complications in long run but if the heartburn can get that bad- it can cause cancer in esophagus just like the woman below mentioned.

stacyrg
on 7/8/19 10:24 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I had VSG in May 2014. I had zero history of GERD pre-Surgery, but developed it post surgery. It was miserable and after testing it was determined that my acid levels were 409% higher than normal. I revised to RNY in July 2016. My surgeon absolutely WILL NOT perform VSG with someone who has a previous GERD diagnosis. I'm concerned that your surgeon really is pushing you to VSG. You're right, it is your body and if he's unwilling to listen to your wishes, that would be a red flag for me. I would try to push for a frank discussion with your doctor and if he won't discuss/address your concerns, see if you can get a second opinion. The acid post sleeve was not only miserable but dangerous as it led to lesions on my esophagus, which in turn could lead to cancer.

As far as other side effects, I had none from my VSG, so I really can't speak to that.

Good luck!

KayLaw4170
on 7/31/19 6:46 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Oh no! Thank you for your reply... I'm sorry you are having to have new surgery ?? I'm definitely going to look into my options especially because revision surgery probably won't be possible as I have medicaid insurance and I'm almost positive they only do one surgery per lifetime. Also id be really super bummed if I have to have another surgery and go through it all again when I could've prevented it in first place. Next appointment is Aug 14th and if he doesn't address this I'm getting a second opinion or speaking with the other woman doctor who also works there.

mrhaboobi
on 7/22/19 9:48 pm
11 years out from VSG and im having to consider a revision as gerd kicked in hard, PPI not controlling well, and the GOJ muscle has all but stopped working resulting in regain. VSG is a great procedure, and it will work, but you will eventually get bad heartburn, i was like you had has some heartburn before hand, and its since gotten worse.. having said all of that, if the meds work and you want less procedure issues ( RYN im not a fan of ) then vsg is still an option..

animallover1247
on 8/2/19 2:55 am, edited 8/1/19 7:59 pm

There are some surgeons (like mine) who believe just because a patient has existing GERD isnt a reason not to do VSG surgery. I was scared to death of having bypass. Even if he would have suggested bypass, I would not have done it. Well, after suffering for over 3 years with GERD, I wish I would have had bypass. Walking up in the middle of a dead sleep vomiting acid, having to sleep sitting straight up, sleepless nights, damage to my teeth because of the acid and bring in constant pain was not worth it!!!! A normal acid level after bravo testing is 14.72 or less. Mine was 85.5, the highest my surgeon had ever seen. Luckily I don't have any damage to my esophagus because of the acid reflux.

Whether you have existing GERD or not, you are taking a chance of needing a revision down the road. It's a crap shoot. I would take any complication over bypass than to deal with reflux for over 3 years. I actually just had surgery at Cleveland Clinic because I had a very rare complication from bypass called candy cane syndrome. The chance of having this complication was less than 1 percent. Had I known I would need another surgery for a complication, I still would have had bypass. The surgery was not near as bad as the hell I've gone through with having the sleeve because of the acid reflux. When I did have bypass, I had to go back to the OR because of blood clots due to severe internal bleeding which required a blood transfusion. Still would have chosen bypass. Recovery from bypass was not worse than recovery from the sleeve surgery.

So with regard to choosimg the sleeve, DON'T DO IT!!!!!! Just my two cents.

KayLaw4170
on 8/2/19 6:34 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Thank you! Your heartburn couldn't be controlled with medication? That is what my doctor insinuated. When I was pregnant I had the horrible kind of acid vomit waking me up in middle of night..anytime I'd lay down really. It was horrible and I can't imagine going thru it 24/7 after sleeve. I think after reading ALL these ppl saying the SAME thing- I've made up my mind...I'm no longer going with VSG. I'm calling my doctor this week to let him know and if they don't "let" me, I'll go somewhere else! It's not worth it to have this become such a problem and I'm sure it will for me (the gerd).

I hope you're feeling better these days after all that?! You had revision bypass correct?

Thanks for the response:)

Most Active