VSG and GERD

animallover1247
on 8/2/19 7:43 pm, edited 8/2/19 12:51 pm

I was on Dexilant, Zantac, and carafate all at one time and still had severe reflux.

Yes I had the revision from sleeve to bypsss. I didn't put this in my first post but I developed a hypertensive LES from having the sleeve surgery so I had a surgery called a Heller myotomy. My surgeon assured me it would fix my reflux. It didn't. Because I didn't want bypass, he did a procedure on me called Fundoplasty with plication. He explained it as sewing the stomach and esophagus together. I never could find any research on it but I know I did not want bypass. So my one sleeve surgery turned into 6 surgeries. I know it's quite unbelievable but it happened. So I also ended up having 7 endoscopies, 4 CT scans, 3 upper GI tests, 2 bravo testing, 3 manometry tests, gastric emptying study, and a 2.5 hospital stay where I was misdiagnosed with a perforation of my stomach from the acid reflux. So I've been through hell physically, emotionally and financially.

I would never discourage anyone from having weight loss surgery because the chances of having all the complications I've had is probably 0. However, I am unequivocally against the sleeve surgery if you have reflux. If I can help one person not go through even half of what I have that's great. I literally complained about severe acid reflux at my one week post op visit. My surgeon completely dismissed me by saying "you shouldn't be having reflux." Well I was!!!!

Keep us updated and let us know what your surgeon says!

KayLaw4170
on 8/3/19 6:32 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

I read some BS online too about gerd and VSG ...it said that MOST people don't get severe acid reflux just mild heartburn in first few weeks after sleeve. It seems like A LOT more people have way worse than mild heartburn.

And thank you, I will keep you all updated. I emailed my doctor yesterday so hoping to hear back soon.

animallover1247
on 8/5/19 2:21 am

It's been a while since I watched it but there's a video on YouTube of a woman bariatric surgeon who is giving a presentation to other bariatric surgeons regarding acid reflux after VSG She states the revision rate from sleeve to bypass due to reflux is 20%. That may not sound horrible but given the number of people who have wls, that adds up to a lot of people.

KayLaw4170
on 8/6/19 7:16 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

yes and my luck I'd be the 20% who get horrible heartburn bc if my history with GERD and a hernia I had in past. These doctors are so arrogant sometimes and think they know EVERYTHING. They need to cater to each patients individual needs rather than what they think is best based on their dispositions.

Wolvesfan1
on 8/5/19 8:45 pm

Prior to having the sleeve I had the lap band. I had to have the lap band removed because of gerd and not keeping anything down. I am now having the sleeve converted to RNY due to Gerd. My current surgeon said that the surgeon that did the sleeve should not have even considered me for sleeve due to my history with the lap band. I lost approximately 100 lbs 12 years ago and I've kept it off, but for the last 2 years gerd has been horrible. Everything I eat comes back up. My surgeon told my insurance company that I needed to convert to RNY to sustain life. I will say that I've had a lot of stress in my life for the last 3-4 years and I don't know if that contributed to the throwing up. I also had a large para-esophageal hernia that I had repaired last year, but it hasn't helped the gerd at all. I would do my research and do what's best for you. Get a second opinion.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views