Ideas for eating while camping?

OnlineAnnie
on 7/14/19 8:43 am, edited 7/16/19 11:00 pm

I'm going to be tent camping in Banff (rocky mountains in Alberta) next week. I used to rely on KD and wieners and beans and pancakes while camping because they were easy to travel with and only the wieners needed to stay in the cooler. Now with my vsg it's a whole new ballgame. Anyone have any good advice for eating while camping? I'll have to be feeding myself plus two others who do not have a vsg. Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/19 4:37 pm

Such a timely post as I just finished up a family camping trip and I really struggled to stick with my food plan while there. I snacked a lot and generally was off my plan.

I did take chick sausage which fits my plan and yogurt because it stayed fine in the cooler. Apples travel well and I ate smoked salmon in a flat package. It packed easily and doesn't take a lot of refrigeration since it's pretty dry.

OnlineAnnie
on 7/15/19 10:16 pm

Thanks so much for the advice, fellow camper!

ladygodiva1228
on 7/16/19 3:56 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Depending on what stage your at post-op there are many protein forward things. Of course you can still have wieners if you can tolerate them. Then there is jerky, meat sticks, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs, etc. If you haven't already check out eggface Shelly has a ton of different post-op recipes for all stages.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

OnlineAnnie
on 7/16/19 10:57 pm

Thanks for the ideas!

Guest9254
on 7/16/19 11:27 am
VSG on 09/18/18

Trail mix is delicious and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Ballpark fat free all beef Frank's are decent and have about 6 grams of protein. That's about the same as an egg. Speaking of which....you can whip up some scrambled eggs over a camp fire (or camping stove) pretty easily. Throw a little ham in there and some cheddar cheese to take it up a notch.

Carrots and hummus are tasty and easy to throw in a cooler. Watermelon is a tricky one in my opinion. Proceed with caution. :)

OnlineAnnie
on 7/16/19 10:58 pm, edited 7/16/19 4:01 pm

Thank you! Great ideas!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views