Ok so I think I hit my stall early

Round_Tiger
on 7/20/19 6:14 pm, edited 7/20/19 6:28 pm
VSG on 07/09/19

Thank God that I have people with experience to read what you have to say about it. I would be freaking out right now if I was ignorant. But I have officially stalled out. Right at the 19th day after surgery. It started yesterday. I know everybody says do not weigh everyday, but I can't help it. It's like dope to stand on the scale and see another pound, two pounds gone.

I lost 22 lbs like it was nobody's business, and wham! Nothing. I even gained 1 pound. Didn't change the way I eat, have drank lots of water, and I even already started my treadmill walking to make it a regular thing. There's no way I should be gaining weight right now. I made a loose total of what I've eaten the past days and both days, it was under 1,000 calories with no carbohydrates. Actually, that's being very liberal. It's more like under 800 calories.

I know this is a thing. My question is, how long does it last? This new way of life is a lot more fun when the ball is rolling and the pounds are dropping off.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/20/19 6:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations! You are the eleventybillionth person to hit the 3 week stall!

It really is just that common. And there are almost as many answers to "how long does it last" as there are people. No one can guess how long it will last for you.

There are countless great reasons to weigh and log every bite of food we eat. If you do, you know exactly, exactly! how good your plan is. And if you are sticking closely to a really good plan, you can confidently ignore the scale, because the results will happen. Maybe not today, or this week, but the results will be there.

The really easy part of this is, well, when it's easy. Weight is coming off, you're moving down in clothing sizes, everyone notices and compliments you -- It's all good. It's harder when the scale doesn't move in a short term stall. It's much harder when you are done losing, and all those positive things stop happening.

Stalls stink. But it's still a little bump on a nice road.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Round_Tiger
on 7/21/19 1:19 pm
VSG on 07/09/19

Thank you, appreciate your feedback!

catwoman7
on 7/21/19 4:11 am, edited 7/20/19 9:12 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

mine lasted two weeks, but as Grim said, people are all across the board on this. I've heard people on here say theirs lasted a few days to one person saying hers lasted 3.5 weeks - it's very individual. Just stick to your plan and the weight loss WILL start up again!

White Dove
on 7/21/19 4:26 am - Warren, OH

I know I had a stall, but do not remember how many days it lasted. I know the weight loss started again. I weighed everyday and it was the best fun of my life. I can't believe people deny themselves the thrill of watching the weight melt off.

Now that I am approaching twelve years out, daily weighing is sometimes not so fun. But I still do it. It does not negatively impact my life when there is a gain, but it is information that I need to have.

I just understand that I will always have to weigh myself and I will always have to be on some type of diet plan.

What is available now, that was not available in 2007, is a smart scale. I would strongly advise anyone to invest about $150 into a scale that gives your weight, BMI, muscle mass, fat percentage, and muscle mass. It is so helpful to me to know exactly what is going on when I have a gain.

Without accurate information, people will attribute a gain to water retention, when it very well may be an increase in fat or an increase in muscle. I purchased a smart scale in 2014, so have a daily record of all those factors since 2014.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Round_Tiger
on 7/21/19 1:20 pm
VSG on 07/09/19

Will definitely look into a smart scale as me and my wife are doing this together.

ocean4dlm
on 7/21/19 5:31 am, edited 7/20/19 10:31 pm - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

22 pounds is a lot ! You body needs a breather. Now is the time to get some baseline measurements... chest, waist, hips, neck, upper arm, thigh,..whatever you choose. Once a month remeasure. I think you'll be thrilled with additional ways to appreciate how your body is changing. Are you increasing physical activity and what your body can achieve ? The scale is not the sole measure of success.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/22/19 8:46 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The "losing multiple pounds a day" phase is probably over for you. Most people lose a bunch of weight in the first two or three weeks, then it slows WAY the hell down. Keep with the plan and you can probably expect to lose 1 or 2lb per week, slow and steady until you hit goal. Most people take between 9 months to a year to reach their goal.

What exactly are you eating right now? Most people average 300 - 400 calories in the first few weeks after surgery. Your sleeve will NOT tell you when you're full, since all the nerves have been cut, so it's super important to weigh and measure your food.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Round_Tiger
on 7/22/19 9:06 pm
VSG on 07/09/19

Good news. I lost the 2 pounds that I gained, and lost an extra pound on top of that. Had a good talk with the nurse practitioner about the whole stall thing. She confirmed what most of y'all are talking about with the rate that you lose.

White Dove
on 7/23/19 5:09 am - Warren, OH

Also our Post Op Planner is very helpful in determining how much to expect to lose each month.

https://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+o p+planner.php

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active