Did my doctor make a mistake?

kocindy
on 7/28/19 3:50 pm

How much protein is eating? Roughly half their body weight, but using that for the number of grams? For instance, if you weigh 250 lbs, are you esting about 125g of protein?

The goal my doctor gave me ---years ago after surgery---was 65-85 grams. I was close to about 265 lbs at the time I believe. I've been easily meeting that.

But today I saw a formula for calculating protein intake (divide weight by 2.2 to convert it to grams, them multiply by about 1.7 for someone who is moderately active). Using that I should have been at 204g of protein, which seems crazy high.

But I wonder if that formula is not for people with bariatric surgery. Or if the clinician at my doctor's office accidentally put my weight at 165, instead of 265 when calculating my protein goal way back then..

How much protein is every eating per day, and at what rate?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/19 4:33 pm

Lately I was not eating enough because my blood work showed very low proteins.

My personal goal for proteins intake is app 100-120 grams per day. And trying to have proteins at every meal, even if it is a small amount.

The most important is how are the results of your blood work? Are you at least maintaining your muscles mass?

For an adult male - I saw recommendation of 65-100 grams of proteins, but 2x as much during recovery from any surgery, or while weight lifting/ body building.

When my daily proteins intake is less than 80-100 grams, my blood work often shows deficiencies.

When at my goal weight, or below, and I need to make sure my body doesn't use the proteins as energy. I need to make sure my meals have more proteins and other foods my body can use as fuel. I often pair my proteins with fat, i.e avocado, mayo, or even butter to top my steak with it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kocindy
on 7/28/19 6:32 pm

Thank you so much. This is really helpful.

Blood work has always been good, but I've also always eaten a little more protein because it was easy to meet the goal. But I was never deliberately aiming for numbers as high as yours.

I DID have LOTS of hair loss. I could never figure it out. This might be why. I don't know.

Will ask my doctor just to be sure.

But your reply is very insightful. Thank you.

And good luck with getting your labs back up.

Most Active