Nexium

elisadiel
on 7/31/19 7:55 pm
VSG on 05/30/17

I heard Nexium help to control your hunger cause of bad heart burn any thoughts would be great thanks

tracyringo
on 7/31/19 10:33 pm
VSG on 08/09/17

Just a guess. Hunger pains can be confused with heartburn and Nexium is for heartburn. So if you take Nexium and it takes care of heartburn you wont feel hungry ?

Frank_M
on 8/1/19 5:04 am
VSG on 05/14/19 with

That's how my surgeon put it. Right after surgery your sleeve is swollen and need inflammation brought down. Antacids will help with that. For me, I felt extremely hungry after surgery and was told my brain interpreted pain signals for hunger. It took between a week to 10 days for that feeling to go away. I take a prescription reflux med at lunch time and an over the counter pill in the morning a d evening. Keeps everything in balance for me.

elisadiel
on 8/1/19 6:33 am
VSG on 05/30/17

I am 2yrs out how far are you out? How do you know head hungry or acid? I only allow 1/2 cup of food two times a day morning I have a shake in decaf coffee.. I'm afraid of gaining weight but I guess that's how vsg people are sorry for rumble on

tracyringo
on 8/1/19 6:44 am
VSG on 08/09/17

I will be 2 years out in 8 more days. Acid and thirst can mimic hunger for me still. If I have eaten within an hour or so and feel that feeling I will take and antacid and/or drink some water before going to food.

Shakes do nothing for my hunger. I have to have food. Usually an egg and bacon and sometimes grits for breakfast.

Frank_M
on 8/1/19 6:48 am
VSG on 05/14/19 with

I'm 2.5 months out. Dr. Alvarez was my surgeon and he does a YouTube video series called Askdra. He addresses all sorts of topics including inflammation, stalls, head hunger, etc.

Most people on here recommend logging food. I do so using an app called Baritastic. There are a lot of them. If your physical activity increases over time your hunger may too as you need more energy for certain activities. Recently I started walking a few miles per day. I drink plenty of fluids which curbs my appetite but I am slightly hungrier than before. Carbs/sugar tends to be my weakness. I use sweetener mostly but there are carbs in a lot of foods. If you minimalize carbs your weight should be fine

elisadiel
on 8/1/19 6:34 am
VSG on 05/30/17

Thanks girl!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/3/19 8:55 am

Nexium is a PPI. A medication that is used to treat or prevent GERD. Not for appetite control.

PPI are class of medication that should be taken only if needed. They can cause side effects and there is enough studies to tell about that. When taken every day, they affect stomach acid production, that in effect can cause malabsorption of proteins and some vitamins. Unfortunately they don't interfere with digestion and absorption of carbs/sugars. The last ones are responsible for most weight gain.

Systematic use of PPI are show to contribute to kidneys damage. Increase in food born stomach flu/ getting norovirus. They even can interfere with gut motility - how fast the food travel through your digestive tract.

PPI once taken daily need to be taper off, and should not be just stopped, because as the system adapts to them, stopping it may cause a severe rebound of acid production, severe GERD that can cause damage to the sleeve and even your esophagus.

If you think you are having GERD - see your doctor.

I would try to examine causes of appetite, not assume you have GERD.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views