Protein Shakes

dorianbee
on 8/7/19 10:48 pm
VSG on 08/01/19

Hello! I'm one week post-op and on the full-liquid diet, and I've been having trouble getting my protein in as well as getting all 64 ounces of water. I can usually stay up late sipping and finish up my water intake, but I'm really struggling with getting in all my protein.

I have seen a few people online talk about continuously working on finishing one protein shake, sipping at in constantly until they finish, so I guess I'm asking if that's what you did, as well? I've just been drinking four ounces of it and then going back to water, but that obviously means it's relatively impossible to get as much protein in as I need.

So I'm wondering if I've misunderstood how I'm supposed to be using protein shakes. Am I supposed to only drink the four ounces of them at a time, or should I continuously sip at them until I've finished? I think my concern regarding doing that would be that it would stretch my stomach out. Is that unfounded, just me over-worrying?

Also sorry if this is a dumb question (it probably is!) but I am just really concerned that I'm going to have some side effects from not getting in all the protein I need.

catwoman7
on 8/8/19 4:44 am, edited 8/7/19 9:56 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

it's a liquid. Liquids go right through you, so you won't stretch out your stomach. I could drink them fairly quickly (quicker than what I was told would be the case), so I was always worried about stretching out my stomach, but I was assured that that wouldn't happen with a shake - or any kind of fluid.

(edited to add that I didn't CHUG them, but I could always drink them faster than what we were told we'd be able to do. It could be that they told us the 4 oz thing just to slow us down so we'd get used to not inhaling food items, though - not sure)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/19 7:56 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Liquid cannot stretch out your stomach. So that's nothing to worry about!

Sip something constantly, whether it's shake or water. Doesn't matter how much of which at one time.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/19 7:21 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

At one week post op I remember drinking two complete protein shakes through out the day as well as sipping on water and tea all day long.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/9/19 5:01 am, edited 8/8/19 10:01 pm

The liquid in the shakes can be counted in a min liquids requirements for the day. I used to deduct app 1-2 oz from the total volume, to take into account the powder plus the air bubbles in that (when I made it from powder)

I.e. drinking 16oz of premixed protein shake, RTD, I counted 15 oz towards my liquids requirements. Making a shake using protein powder, 16 oz finished drink, I counted 13-14 for liquids.

I used to have a container with me almost all the time, and constantly sipping. Initially it was protein shake, later on and long term, I almost always have a bottle of water or other drink (green tea) almost anywhere I go. When I get home from work, I often make a weak tea to sip on as I feed our cats and start making our meal.

Initially I would stop drinking 15-30 min before my meal, but as my insides healed, there was no need to wait 30 min. Long term - I drink liquids to app 5-10 min before I start eating. I often get 100-150 oz of liquids a day. That not only helps with my hydration but also with BM. Now I can drink 8-12 oz in 5 min or less if I haven't eat dense proteins type food for at least couple of hours.

When I start drinking after a meal, I wait at least 30 min. Sometimes much longer. Starting with small sips allows me to judge if I have a room to drink, or need to wait longer.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gwen M.
on 8/9/19 5:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Not a dumb question! Liquid is liquid and it all counts. It also can't stretch your stomach since it flows through. Keep sipping :)

When I was newly post-op, I'd drink 16 oz of protein shake first off for 60g of protein. Then I'd sip calorie-free stuff until dinner time, at which point I'd drink my third shake (8oz, 30g) of the day. Then I'd go back to sipping the calorie-free stuff. I was able to reach my goals (64oz, 90g) pretty much from day one this way.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

dorianbee
on 8/9/19 9:34 pm
VSG on 08/01/19

Thanks so much for your replies everyone! Since I read them, I've been able to reach my protein goal quite easily! So thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Jinxy6
on 8/11/19 9:22 am - SC

Hi DorianBee, congrats on heading towards a new life! I am 3 months post op and have lost 54 pounds. (I tell you that to encourage you.) Definitely drink whole shakes. As mentioned, you won't stretch your stomach and you will avoid other issues. Several times in the early weeks I had "spells" where I would suddenly get very weak and nauseous, feeling like I would pass out. Each time I would realize I hadn't had enough protein or water that day. I have since made sure to get enough of both and it hasn't happened since until yesterday and once again I realized I was short on my protein. I can also tell a difference in my energy level.

I too can finish a shake in short order. If you can't, do as my doctor and dieticians say, sip, sip, sip all day long. Good luck and God bless your journey!

Conniepw
on 9/29/19 11:42 pm
VSG on 09/24/19

Thank you all for your responses.
I too Have been struggling with drinking. Enough protein which was recommended by my surgeon (12oz) a day. But I was very scared of popping my new stomach and causi. A leak. I have been having some cramping in my calves which I figured were due to lack of protein and potassium.

All of your responses are awesome thank you again.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views