Endoscopic sleeve procedure

stephgfl
on 8/13/19 3:38 pm

Has anyone had the endoscopic sleeve procedure? I'm considering it and I like that it seems less invasive than traditional VSG but I've read these patients lose less weight? Any experiences?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/14/19 6:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

They can call it an endoscopic sleeve, but there is no way they can perform a VSG endoscopically.

Aside from the misleading name, of what does the procedure consist?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dragon1
on 8/14/19 6:53 am - NY

had it 9 years ago; the first six months are a roller coaster, and you lose a lot of weight. As you get years out, life is...really normal. Eventually you can eat like a normal person again (which was one of my hopes and fears early on). I eat less than I did, and more slowly, but still normal.

I can gain weight if I snack (trying to get back down now, which is why I'm back on the forum, a daily reminder), and can lose weight far easier than before the surgery (and I'm now in my mid 40s). I still take B12 regularly, and need vitamin D suppliments, but otherwise perfectly fine vitamin wise. I do get heartburn still, but that's why god created tums and prilosec.

Overall, 10 years out, really glad I did it. I would probably weigh at least 100 pounds more than I do now without it, and I am healthy and happy. Having had friends who did bypass, sleeve is much better.

Amy R.
on 8/14/19 10:09 pm

You had an endoscopic sleeve? So you didn't have any kind of incisions to your abdomen?

I've honestly never heard of that and I can't imagine how it would be done. But I'm also not a surgeon so there is that.

Could it be possible that you're referring to a laparoscopic sleeve and not an endoscopic one?

dragon1
on 8/14/19 10:16 pm - NY

Yep. Didn't know they now do them with zero exterior incisions, very cool. Mine was laproscopic, three eraser sized incisions. Sorry for the incorrect reply.

VSG on May 9, 2011.  HW: 217.  SW: 206.  CW: 144 as of 12/22/11.
califsleevin
on 8/15/19 9:28 am - CA

It's not gastrectomy, where they physically remove part of the stomach as in the VSG or DS, but it's more like the sleeve plication where they fold away and suture up much of the fundus leaving a sleeve like tube as a restriction, only they do it endoscopically. It is usually referred to as a endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty.

The docs that I have seen promoting it call for it to be done with a BMI of 30 or above, which implies that it is of similar efficacy as the bands and balloons. As it doesn't remove any of the structure of the stomach, it is unlikely to have any significant hormonal or metabolic effect, also like the bands, balloons and plications - so it would be considered to be a purely restrictive procedure - i.e., no metabolic help on the patient's obesity problem.

ASMBS's thoughts on it (endoscopic bariatric procedures in general) can be summed up as interesting, needed but not yet ready for prime time:

https://asmbs.org/resources/a-pathway-to-endoscopic-bariatri c-therapies

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active