Seeking support for Reactive Hypoglycemia

Lisa F.
on 8/16/19 9:38 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

I'm a little over 3 years post-op and am experiencing reactive hypoglycemia. I had low blood sugar problems before surgery but it's gotten worse. My surgeon tells me it's not and is suggesting keto and wrote me a prescription for metformin, which I'm hesitating to take. Thankfully, my PCP wrote me a prescription for a continuous glucose monitor (Freestyle LibreLink, which is awesome... no finger *****s!) and after only a few days it's confirmed what I already knew. Numbers are stable but after I eat, they drop and have even been low with no overt symptoms -- which may explain struggles with anxiety. I'm afraid I've been living this way for quite some time which worries me. I also have a very high-stress job and am tired all the time, so I'm wondering if adrenals are compromised.

Anyway, I've learned from reading information here that it's a misunderstood condition and believe I have to seek another doctor. Anyone in the Boston area has recommendations for HCPs or any links to sites or books that might help me become more educated about this?

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

mmsmom
on 8/17/19 5:39 pm - Woburn, MA

A few spoonfuls of yoghurt balance me out

VSG on 04/28/2014

hollykim
on 8/18/19 9:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 17, 2019 at 4:38 AM Pacific Time, Lisa Faye wrote:

I'm a little over 3 years post-op and am experiencing reactive hypoglycemia. I had low blood sugar problems before surgery but it's gotten worse. My surgeon tells me it's not and is suggesting keto and wrote me a prescription for metformin, which I'm hesitating to take. Thankfully, my PCP wrote me a prescription for a continuous glucose monitor (Freestyle LibreLink, which is awesome... no finger *****s!) and after only a few days it's confirmed what I already knew. Numbers are stable but after I eat, they drop and have even been low with no overt symptoms -- which may explain struggles with anxiety. I'm afraid I've been living this way for quite some time which worries me. I also have a very high-stress job and am tired all the time, so I'm wondering if adrenals are compromised.

Anyway, I've learned from reading information here that it's a misunderstood condition and believe I have to seek another doctor. Anyone in the Boston area has recommendations for HCPs or any links to sites or books that might help me become more educated about this?

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

I know no one in your area but would encourage you to see an endocrinologist. Good luck

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/29/19 10:48 pm

A few years post op WLS I was dealing with a RH, Hypoglycemia, and some other issues (severe fatigue, orthostatic hypotension, etc.)

It took me a while, but eventually I saw a great Endocrinologist who diagnosed me with a Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency SAI. (Adrenals work, but pittuatary don't do a good job to stimulate them, or other glands)

The first endo I saw - belongs to "educated morons" group. He blamed me for not following proper post op WLS diet.

There are great endos, but not many know how to diagnose borderline adrenal insufficiency. And how to treat it. Some endos chose to not doing anything. They look at numbers and not the patient. I was lucky and persistent to find out why I was having the problems. BTW - having uncontrolled RH and hypoglycemia, I had to eat carbs, and I was gaining weight. Exercise would almost always trigger hypoglycemia, even yard work would do that. After I was put on steroids, I was able to lose the 15 lbs regain I had because I had to eat something every 2-3 hours. Even at night.

I am on a supplemental (Rx) cortisone (HC) that I take 2-4 x a day. Plus I am on HRT (hormonal replacement therapy) for estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.

My other hormones (thyroid, HGH) got better after I was on cortisone for 2-3 years. The last 2 hormones, my doc wanted to give my body time to recover from years of undiagnosed SAI, before she would consider adding more Rx hormones. Problem with hormones is that when I started supplementing what I body does not make enough of, often the glands stop working, and I would have to be on those hormones (thyroid, HGH) for the rest of my life.

Because my pittuatary are "defective", we need to monitor thyroid and HGH at least every 6 months. Thyroid - not only TSH, but also T4. TSH is made by pittuatary, so testing it is not enough to see how my thyroid is doing. (I can have low TSH and below normal T4)

I hope you can find an answer.

When dealing with RH or Hypoglycemia, but when following a good diet (not a lot of sugar or carbs), you may have issues with your cortisone - not enough, or too much insulin. Or a few other things.

I still deal with a severe RH after I had lots of carbs. Before my diagnose - I would get RH after drinking a low carb protein shake, or eating 2HB eggs, or eating chicken breast (lean proteins).

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active