That just happened

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/19 1:34 pm

Had my robotic VSG w/bonus hernia repair (had no idea I had a hernia) this morning at 7:30. Got up to walk and potty right when I got back to room. Walking was surprisingly easy? I had "braced myself" for major pain(knocking on my table lol) I'm feeling more of the gas pain now. Passed a giant scale on my walk, in what seemed to be a vacant wing of the hospital (lol) and argued with myself but kept truckin. Didn't want to see how much surgery itself made me gain but still kinda curious lol. May step on it in my next go round. My incisions are not causing too much discomfort. I do have a pretty gnarly headache. My dr did not do pain pump. Just alternating toradol and Percocet. I braced myself for the pill swallowing pain too, but it slid on down. I'm pretty scared all the pain I'm not feeling will hit me at once when I'm by myself at home :-/ or HOPEFULLY I just won't experience much pain. Weirder things have happened right? lol I can't believe I really got this done. I'm so excited and feel so blessed.

White Dove
on 9/19/19 9:23 pm - Warren, OH

I had to get on the scale right before surgery and during my first walk after surgery.

I gained 19 pounds. When I asked the surgeon about that, he laughed,

He said just do home and pee it out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/19 3:17 am

I buckled and got on the scale. Surgery alone made me gain 9lbs. So there's that. Lol

but like you said, we will pee and walk it out. I'm not stressing.

White Dove
on 9/20/19 4:59 am - Warren, OH

Mine was gone and a few more pounds off by the end of the first week.

sunnyday55
on 9/21/19 1:13 pm, edited 9/21/19 6:14 am

Is that the answer??

i just got home from Revision, from Sleeve to RNY .

Got on the scale and gained13 pounds. Almost fainted! Not a total surprise though, I pretty puffy......

White Dove
on 9/21/19 1:17 pm - Warren, OH

A gallon of water weighs seven pounds. The pump two or more gallons into you to do laparoscopic surgery. It will be gone quickly.

sunnyday55
on 9/22/19 12:05 pm

How long did it take you to pee it out?

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/20/19 5:44 am, edited 9/19/19 10:44 pm

The extra liquids would help you the first few days when getting enough liquids in you may be challenging.

My only regrets from early post op - not drinking enough liquids with electrolytes. We often forget how important sodium, magnesium, potassium can be to us.

I concentrated on drinking protein shakes and flavored water, but during first few months I did not get enough sodium. When we are on a low calories, low carb diet - our body would lose a lot of stored water. Water in our muscles, organs is bound to glycogen (stored carbs) and minerals (sodium). That's why people on keto get "keto flu" - not enough minerals as they transition from normal to low carb diet. Even so far out, I try to make sure I get enough sodium and other electrolytes.

Some people may advise you to cut sodium as low as you can for a fast weight loss, but unless you have high BP, or tendency to retain liquids - the loss you are going to see on a scale would be jus****er loss.

Very low carbs combined with a very low calorie and sodium diet may lead to practical dehydration, since your body can't retain water. And the more plain water you drink, the more thirsty you may become. Dehydration can lead to muscles spasms, orthostatic hypotension, headache, nausea, and even hunger.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/19 1:43 pm

I found propel packets with electrolytes in it. Sugar free too. Kiwi strawberry. I just got home sipping on it now.

Jannyjoslater
on 9/20/19 7:22 am

I was thinking of you yesterday, but not online. It sounds like it went well. I'm happy it did.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views