8 weeks post-op and wondering...

JaniOnAMission
on 9/24/19 4:35 pm
VSG on 07/29/19

Hiii so I'm pretty new to this and when I say new I mean I just signed up 10mins ago. I had my vsg in nyc hospital about almost 8 weeks ago (yay) I've currently lost 41 lbs. started at 231 now I am at 190. Been through a couple of minor stalls. Ive been cleared for regular food for a while now but still most eat turkey, us-applesauce, sf jello, lots of egg varieties and soft cheeses. Recently I discovered quest protein chips which are amazing once you get used to the fact they aren't actually doritos lol. I don't venture out into more food because everytime I try something new or a new texture I can only get in a couple of bites (4) and I'm feeling discomfort.. I am dealing with bad gerd but currently on Omeprazole and liquid antacids, but even before gerd started up. I can only get down 2oz of food max and thats pushing it. Liquid is a little better at 3oz. Did anyone else experience the discomfort at such small amounts? Sorry this is lengthy, I just don't have anyone to really talk to or ask! :(

White Dove
on 9/24/19 9:58 pm - Warren, OH

If you cant get down more than 3 ounces of liquid, see your surgeon and get checked for a stricture.

Some of us heal more slowly than others. You might have an irritated pouch. But you do need to get liquieds in so you are not dehydrated.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Frank_M
on 9/25/19 6:14 am
VSG on 05/14/19 with

Sipping liquids all day is key in the beginning. Don't worry about how little solid food you can consume now, that will increase in time.

I had problems with heartburn/reflux before VSG but don't anymore. I take a prescription at noon (pantoprazole) and 1 over the counter antacid in the a.m. and 1 in the evening. My favorite drink was the Premier protein drinks. Easy way to hydrate and get in the protein.

tracyringo
on 9/25/19 8:01 am
VSG on 08/09/17

I was just like that and it took a long time for me to be able to eat more then a few ounces of anything without pressure. I also had horrible Gerd in which Omeprazole didn't work for me. The 3rd PPI they put me on did the trick though ( Dexilant ) I would say you sound normal but I am not a Dr. and if you are really worried I would ask. I am a little over 2 years now and I can eat 4 oz of protein with a few bites of veggies without feeling too much pressure and can pretty much drink a good amount as long as it is an hour or so after eating, sometimes takes longer depending on what I ate.

JaniOnAMission
on 9/26/19 7:34 am
VSG on 07/29/19

Thank you all soooo much for your replies!! I've gone back a few times to the doctor to check the pressure issue and everything came out fine, no issues with my actual pouch. My biggest issue is the GERD that is constantly causing chronic gastritis. 2 weeks ago I ended up in the ER because I had three days not being able to eat or drink because of the acid. They ended up doubling my daily dose of Zantac to two 300mg tabs a day, one at night one in the morning, and they added the liquid antacid on top. A week later I went for a follow up and they completely replaced the zantac with Omeprazole 40mg once a day. Its been five days with no relief. I have to constantly drink the liquid antacid every 2 hours or so to keep the acid at bay enough to eat. I was giving the Omeprazole some time to kick in but everywhere I read it says it should be good by 3-4 and I'm going on my sixth tomorrow with no signs of getting better. Contemplating going back to the ER, because I can't sleep at night due to waking up in the middle of the night coughing and choking from the reflux. I'm starting to think maybe the reflux causes the discomfort and pain when I eat certain foods.

ScaleSkater
on 9/26/19 11:09 am

At minimum I would suggest raising the head of your bed 6 inches or so to keep from the acid coming up and choking you. I had to do that at one point before surgery.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

JaniOnAMission
on 10/3/19 9:13 am, edited 10/3/19 2:17 am
VSG on 07/29/19

So I did end up going to the ER (again) and was given Sucralfate 4 times a day. I was eating too little. With the acid and the fear of getting that big again. I was developing food aversion, especially towards carbs which are sometimes needed to absorb the acid in my tummy. Currently still on 40 mg of Omeprazole, but now I'm eating every 2-3 hours on the clock (with alarms) so I'm eating 3 meals with 2-3 snacks in between them. The doctors told me to increase my carbs a bit because I had a lot of ketones in my urine usually only food in starvation. So I try to get in at least a slice of 100 percent light whole wheat toast and bought Gerber arrowroot baby biscuits, that only have 3g of carbs (one being sugar) per biscuit, I eat half one if I feel acid coming on right before bed. My acid is all but controlled now as long as I stick to that eating plan, it acts up at night a bit, and I broke my not-really stall. I was losing really slowly during my reflux issue period, and now I'm dropping .5 - 1lb a day.

hallelujah!

Most Active