One Wee****il Surgery...my system is rebelling!

thundermuffins
on 9/30/19 9:39 am - NJ
VSG on 10/07/19

So...I learned an important lesson. Apparently carrots have a lot of fiber! If you eat a lot of carrots (say, two bags of the baby carrots in 4 days), you just may end up projectile vomiting and pooping like your life depends on it.

My surgeon requires a two week preop diet, which consists of unlimited veggies, 4 oz of meat once a day, 1/2 cup of high fiber starch, and 3 protein shakes a day. I've been dreaming about cheeseburgers like you wouldn't believe. I bought myself some hummus and guac as a treat because I was dying the other day. Today I feel like I am dying in a different way due to my awful night. They brough us in lunch today, and I am having chicken for lunch, with a tiny bit of salad and eggplant parm (no pasta-just the eggplant, sauce and cheese). Hopefully this isn't really a cheat per se. Anyway, thought I'd share. Hope everyone is doing well!

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/19 1:24 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

I would try hard to stick to your surgeons diet instructions. The diet is important to the success of your surgery. It is meant to shrink your liver and gives better surgical access to your stomach.

The diet I was given was also really hard to stick to but the two weeks will be over before you know it.

Good Luck to you!

ScaleSkater
on 9/30/19 1:44 pm

Come on. Your need to focus. This is an important time to make your surgery easier on the surgeons and on your recovery. Dig down deep. It's worth it. You can do it.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/30/19 1:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Going against your surgeon's instructions, even in a healthy way, is still cheating. And if you can't buckle down and follow instructions, how can you be sure you won't cheat immediately after surgery, when cheating can cause serious physical harm??

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jmk187
on 9/30/19 3:41 pm
VSG on 02/13/19

I'm in agreement with everyone here. You are so close...why jepordize all the hard work you have done? Self sabotage is real. If you feel hungry try sipping on hot broth. You would be amazed how a craving for something salty like a cheeseburger is sufficed with Hot Broth..And if you get a craving for something sweet...Try drinking crystal light..Both Options are Very Little calories and will literally not do anything to ruin your chance of surgery.

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

hollykim
on 9/30/19 4:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 30, 2019 at 4:39 PM Pacific Time, thundermuffins wrote:

So...I learned an important lesson. Apparently carrots have a lot of fiber! If you eat a lot of carrots (say, two bags of the baby carrots in 4 days), you just may end up projectile vomiting and pooping like your life depends on it.

My surgeon requires a two week preop diet, which consists of unlimited veggies, 4 oz of meat once a day, 1/2 cup of high fiber starch, and 3 protein shakes a day. I've been dreaming about cheeseburgers like you wouldn't believe. I bought myself some hummus and guac as a treat because I was dying the other day. Today I feel like I am dying in a different way due to my awful night. They brough us in lunch today, and I am having chicken for lunch, with a tiny bit of salad and eggplant parm (no pasta-just the eggplant, sauce and cheese). Hopefully this isn't really a cheat per se. Anyway, thought I'd share. Hope everyone is doing well!

your body isn't rebelling,your brain is.

thundermuffins
on 10/1/19 10:06 am - NJ
VSG on 10/07/19

I honestly didn't really think the guac and hummus were cheating, as they follow the veggie rules. Yes, the cheese may have been a bit of off track. I didn't eat any meat for dinner, I subbed my meat into my lunch (I'm allowed to choose any meal to eat the meat in, as long as I stick to 4 ounces).

And, I promise. I have not eaten a cheeseburger. I feel like I have been very good, but maybe not as good as I thought based on the strong reactions I received.

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/19 7:14 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

Your surgeons diet is quite different from mine and given the strong reactions to your post I assume most folks here followed a similar diet as myself. I was allowed four SlimTime shakes per day plus unlimited clear broth, SF popsicles, SF jello, black tea or coffee and water. Nothing else.

FYI hummus and guacamole may be classed as a vegetable but both are higher in fat and calories than most other vegetables. Perhaps check in with your surgeon's office to confirm whether or not hummus, guacamole or cheese are allowed?

Most Active