scar/incision management

thundermuffins
on 11/13/19 11:51 am - NJ
VSG on 10/07/19

Hi all!

5 weeks post OP and doing great. Saw my doc for my 2nd follow up and he asked if I was putting anything on my incision spots. Did you all put anything on yours once they were healed up and non scabby? Wondering if this is something I should be doing.

White Dove
on 11/13/19 8:02 pm - Warren, OH

You do not need to do anything to treat the scars. They will fade in time. I do remember using Merderma, but I don't think it made any difference.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 11/14/19 6:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 13, 2019 at 7:51 PM Pacific Time, thundermuffins wrote:

Hi all!

5 weeks post OP and doing great. Saw my doc for my 2nd follow up and he asked if I was putting anything on my incision spots. Did you all put anything on yours once they were healed up and non scabby? Wondering if this is something I should be doing.

I imagine he would have told you if he wanted you to put something on them.

Some ppl do foolish things like put peroxide on them . He was probably trying to make sure you WERENT putting anything on them and was glad you were not.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/19 9:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Nope, I haven't put anything on my scars from any of my surgeries. They healed up just fine without any Neosporin or scar cream or anything!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ScaleSkater
on 11/15/19 9:49 am

I was told to use a healing ointment to keep them moist initially until healed. Now I just put Lubriderm red bottle (advanced I think). He told me after 6 months I could stop if I wanted. I'm just in the habit now of lubing up after a shower, so I'm keeping it going. It's also the only time I inspect how things look.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

TheWombat
on 11/15/19 3:22 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

Six months?! Was your surgery open or laparoscopic? My wounds were basically healed in a few weeks.

To answer the OP's question, I wasn't told to put anything on my wounds.

Most Active