second puberty yay

thundermuffins
on 11/25/19 7:30 am - NJ
VSG on 10/07/19

One of the unexpected things that has come with losing weight quickly is the release of all the stored hormones. I feel like I'm going through second puberty. It is gross AF. Hoping it mellows out. Telling myself its temporary. Just had to complain.

White Dove
on 11/25/19 7:48 am - Warren, OH

You are being flooded with the estrogen that is stored in the fat.

You can either stick it out, or buy a bottle of progesterone cream and be balanced out in a few days. One pump of cream applied to inner arm daily for three weeks, and then take a week off. If you are still having periods, you take period week off. If you are past menopause, you just pick the week to take off

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

thundermuffins
on 11/25/19 1:05 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/07/19

Thanks. I actually had my doctor put me on birth control a month ago, because if I dont, I get my period every two weeks when not eating a lot of carbs. I made it 3 weeks this time but it is awful. I will have to ask if I can do the cream and the pills at the same time. I used to be able to take ibuprofen to manage it, but my surgeon said to switch to acetaminophen which does nothing for me

TheWombat
on 11/30/19 7:22 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Heat is your friend when it comes to period pain, and can help almost as much as stronger NSAIDS which you're not supposed to take post-WLS. You may not have a ho****er bottle, but you can improvise one by filling a plastic soda bottle or similar with ho****er. Cover it in fabric, and place it on your lower abdomen.

When that's not practical (e.g., you're at work), drink hot tea. Drink it while it's as hot as you can comfortably manage it. Herbal tea is best. I prefer chamomile because, according to tradition, it's supposed to help with period pain. I don't know if the chamomile itself actually does anything, but just thinking about the tradition comforts me. In any case, the heat of the tea does help.

One advantage of the heat is that it works almost immediately, unlike medication.

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/19 12:43 pm

This topic worries me, I'm not sleeved yet. I have the absolute worst pains during my cycle. Sometimes they make me vomit they are so bad. Like 8/10 on the pain scale. The pharmacist I met with gave me a list of medications/vitamins I can take and different types of deliveries that would be preferable, liquid, sublingual, etc. But she did say no nsaids and to take tylenol instead I didn't press the issue. I thought "oh, maybe when I lose weight my periods will be lighter again". (not sure why I thought that.) Tylenol NEVER cuts the pain. Heating pad does help with some of the pain but not all of it and I can't lie in bed with a heating pad all day. If anyone finds a medication that helps, let us know! I'm going to ask the surgeon when I see him if there is another way to take an nsaid, rectally or injectable or something. will update.

thundermuffins
on 12/5/19 7:07 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/07/19

I think getting on a reasonably strong birth control before surgery will help a lot, provided you can take them. I see my gyn next week and am hoping she can give me something stronger.

I spoke with the nurse/doctor, and they let me take 800mg 2x/day for 4 days. By the time I called though, my period seriously just...stopped within two days. It has never done that before. I went from two pads front to back to like, not bleeding overnight. I really want to stress that you should NOT take NSAIDS unless the doctor says it is ok, and even then it will likely be super controlled. I was on an ibuprofen regimen for my periods prior, and know it helped me (literally the only thing that ever did) so I think that is why. That, and I was like...45 days post op? Maybe more? Again, trust your physician. Thanks for letting me vent here.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views