Almost to Healthy Weight!

MotivatedToFit
on 12/23/19 6:58 am

So far my VSG journey has been extremely beautiful but also a lesson. I am 7 months post op and glad to say I am officially 6 pounds away from being in the healthy weight range for my height! This is the healthiest I've ever been and my fitness has increased so much I can even do push-ups now lol I'm at my lowest weight ever and looking forward to continuing this health journey for life!
New VSG'ers the journey will not be easy but stick to it you made this decision to get healthy and improve your quality of life. So when the old you wants to pop back up and sabotage your efforts remember why you did this and the future healthy you that will feel so much happier and healthier. Happiness tastes better than any amount of junk food could ever taste and I've definitely learned this as an ex binge eater.

White Dove
on 12/23/19 8:36 am - Warren, OH

Congratulations on being so successful so quickly.

Remember that weight loss surgery has phases. You are in the beautiful honeymoon stage of your surgery. It is fun, weight comes off easily, and you feel wonderful.

The honeymoon lasts for approximately 18 to 36 months. After that your body gets smart enough to start getting back the weight that it feels it has been cheated out of.

So most people gain back about 20 pounds by month 36. What my surgeon advises us to do is to lose an additional 10, 20, or even 30 pounds under his goal while we are still in the wonderful honeymoon stages.

That gives you a cushion for regain when you body heals from the effects of the surgery and learns how to put weight back on.

Every person that I know who is successful long term with weight loss surgery has also had therapy to help deal with binge eating and emotional issues. My center requires us to read this book and to attend a workshop on it. When someone I know has weight loss surgery, I bring them this book instead of flowers. Reading it can make a big difference in your long term success.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MotivatedToFit
on 12/25/19 9:31 am, edited 12/25/19 1:34 am

Awesome advice! I plan on losing an additional 20-25 lbs to give myself some wiggle room. I have also been watching many YouTube videos on regain and how fellow VSGers combat regain by keeping up with their healthy lifestyle and exercise regimen. I also have returned to therapy and practicing healthier ways to deal with my emotions. I tend to exercise, draw, or go out with friends now instead of eating.
I never want to return to the weight I was before the surgery or feel how I felt then. I will do whatever it takes not to return there. Thank you so much for the advice and I will definitely give this book a read.

Most Active