New to this site

sarahcaa25
on 1/2/20 9:58 am
VSG on 01/27/20

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site. It appears it will be a helpful tool for before and after surgery. I am having my VSG on Jan 27th. I start my liquid diet on Jan 13th. I am getting very nervous. My husband had the surgery on Dec 10th and he seems sad now. He stays to himself a lot at home. I think it is because he is trying to learn himself without food. I am doing the opposite. I have been being very social and the last few weeks I have been having a lot of trouble sticking to healthy eating. I think I am worried these are my last days of over indulging. Did anyone else have these feelings?

TheWombat
on 1/2/20 11:53 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Welcome! 2020 is going to be a very exciting year for you.

Everyone's experience is different, and your experience will likely be very different from your husband's. It is normal for people to go through a brief period of regret after weight loss surgery, and it is also common for people to be a little depressed after any surgery or illness. Perhaps that's what your husband is experiencing. Perhaps after your own surgery you can be a role model for him on how to enjoy life after VSG. If his low mood continues, he might benefit from counselling. Perhaps he would find this forum helpful?

Before my own surgery, I made a list of non-food things that I could do to comfort myself, deal with stress, treat myself. This really helped me after surgery. I have also learned to focus on other senses besides (or in addition to) taste. For example, some of the things on my list were to drink some really fragrant herbal tea, cuddle my cats, call a friend, climb under the duvet and sulk.

As for these being your last days of overindulging, yes and no. Ideally these will be your last days of overindulging, but in reality no one is perfect. After VSG you can still indulge yourself, you'll just find different ways to do it. I actually enjoy food much more now that I no longer feel powerless. I eat more slowly, and savour each bite.

sarahcaa25
on 1/3/20 3:24 am
VSG on 01/27/20

Thank you for the suggestions. I love the list idea. I am going to start working on that today.

Raynebow20
on 1/4/20 1:52 am
VSG on 01/02/20

Hello there!

I'm new to this site as well. It has been a godsend. I was never made to go on a liquid diet until the day prior to surgery. In terms of having my "last hurrah", I tried but nearly vomited. My body was already used to salad and water by then. What you're feeling is normal. I would say make sure you have a therapist while embarking on this journey. Sometimes we can use a little help staying on course. I have weekly visits with mine now.

sarahcaa25
on 1/7/20 4:54 am
VSG on 01/27/20

Thank you :) I have been seeing a therapist and he is extremely helpful :) How far out from surgery are you? Are there any tips or information you think I should know? I have have my surgery in two weeks.

Raynebow20
on 1/7/20 5:19 am
VSG on 01/02/20

I actually had surgery on the 2nd. My doctor didn't restrict me much at all during my preop phase. He just pretty much said no sugar, no carbs, no starch. If I could give you some advice, try to get used to the liquids. Because I didn't have to do any liquid preop, I'm suffering now. I made dinner for my family last night and cried because I couldn't have any. If I had started liquids before, I would be used to not having solids. Also, gas pain after surgery has been kicking my butt! I still have not found a foolproof solution for getting rid of it, but I drink a lot of tea and put a heating pad on my chest at night (that's where it seems to settle) and that brings me a bit of comfort. Hope this helps!

Most Active