Mental health with VSG

Jojobby08
on 1/9/20 10:53 am
VSG on 02/17/20

Is it normal to be scared of what your mental state will be after surgery? My doctor scared me by saying that suicide is higher after surgery which is why they promote therapy. I will definitely be doing that but I know I've also been more emotional and have had more anxiety lately. I used to be pumped up and excited for my new journey but now that it's getting closer to my date I'm scared about my mental state. Is it really different after surgery? Or am I just psyching myself out?

White Dove
on 1/9/20 1:02 pm - Warren, OH

I know one person who blew his brains out after weight loss surgery. Another who actually starved herself to death. She had cancer, was on chemo, and just completely stopped eating. The doctor said her cause of death was malnutrition.

Both of these people had a long history of mental illness and probably should not have had surgery. The woman had divorced her husband, alienated her family and friends, and had absolutely no support system in place.

The man was in a loving marriage and his wife also had the surgery. She is now happily remarried.

If you are already suffering from a mental illness and contemplating suicide, then I do believe that weight loss surgery can increase your risk of committing suicide.

I know another person who has become a severe alcoholic since surgery. None of the rehab programs have made any difference. A few months ago she was drunk and beating up her husband. He had her arrested and put in jail. She is currently back living with her 71 year old mother and father. She is 50 years old.

Food is the main source of comfort for many obese people. When that is taken away, they are at risk of finding unhealthy ways to cope. Alcohol, gambling, shopping, and sex are some of the things that people substitute for food.

I believe that almost all of us have anxiety before surgery. It is a big life changing decision that comes with risks. I went as far as to review my will and make funeral arrangements.

The day after surgery, I felt great and wondered what all the fuss was about. I really did not feel any different. I just was not hungry and lost weight easily.

I did attend support meetings and work with a therapist. The risk of suicide is most likely higher a few years after surgery when the weight loss stops, the compliments stop, and the regain often starts.

Everything comes with risk. You have probably been evaluated by a psychologist prior to approval for surgery. That was a requirement for me.

Suicide after surgery is about 6 out of 10,000 people and those people were all probably suicidal before surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Frank_M
on 1/9/20 4:11 pm
VSG on 05/14/19 with

Stay focused on your goals and you be fine. Like WhiteDove said, get a support system in place. They include family, friends, coworkers, church people, doctors, etc. Basically anyone you feel you can go to when you need support. This online community is great, lots of good answers to all the questions we have.

As far as suicide goes, I think most people who elect to have WLS are choosing to live more healthy in order to prolong their life. Its been almost 8 months since my VSG and life continues to get better and easier to do things. I cant wait to see what happens next. This journey of life we're on can be as good as we're willing to make it :)

clairenew
on 2/27/24 9:37 am, edited 2/27/24 1:40 am
TheWombat
on 1/9/20 4:53 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

It's normal to be concerned about how WLS will affect your mental state. It sounds like you're actively looking after your mental health, and would seek whatever help you need, so I don't think you need to worry about this. I would think that you are less likely to have problems because you are prepared.

I have dysthymia for decades, but it's well-managed with medication. I had similar concerns to yours, so I was very honest with the psychologist that they sent me to for pre-surgery evaluation. I also made a plan for what I would do if I felt low. If it was mild, I'd call a friend to chat. A bit worse, I'd go and stay with a friend for a few days while making arrangements for therapy ASAP. Also, that friend knew that I was having surgery, and would be calling to see how I was doing. As it turned out, I didn't need any of that; from day 2 onwards I felt great. About six months after surgery, after discussing it with my doctor, I reduced my antidepressant dose to 75%, and it's been there ever since.

Any surgery or illness can trigger a low mood in some people, but it's usually short-term.

One other thing to be aware of is that many people have a period of "buyer's remorse" after surgery. Again, this is usually short-term, and it doesn't mean that you made a mistake by having the surgery.

Also, it's quite normal to be excited at first, then anxious as surgery gets closer. I was still toying with the idea of backing out as they wheeled me into the operating room!

clairenew
on 2/27/24 9:42 am, edited 2/27/24 9:10 pm

wow! it is great! Doctors warn of possible risks, including an increase insuicide rates. That's why they recommend therapy - it will help support you emotionally. I studied psychology research paper topics a lot, used ideas for psychology paper for myself personally. Your emotions may be stronger due to all the stress. Don't think you're going crazy. After surgery it can be difficult, but it is impportant to have support.

catwoman7
on 1/13/20 6:05 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I would think we'd hear a LOT more about that if it were common. And I agree with some of the other posters that these people were likely dealing with mental health issues before they had surgery. Most clinics have a psychologist on staff who meets with patients before surgery (and/or they refer you to an outside psychologist). I would hope people with these kinds of issues would get screened out.

clairenew
on 2/28/24 2:58 am
Grim_Traveller
on 1/15/20 2:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Take a deep breath. It's very normal to get more anxious as surgery approaches. This is a big deal. It's major surgery, and a big lifestyle adjustment. It's also the most positive thing you can do for your future, by far.

There have been a million threads on OH from those contemplating surgery asking the question "Do you have any regrets?" No one ever does. Almost everyone responds that they wished they had surgery sooner, rather than putting it off.

Being cautious is good. But you'll be really glad you did this.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 1/16/20 12:16 pm

I have not heard that the suicide rate is higher, but it would not surprise me. I think many people believe that when they lose the weight, all their problems will disappear.

I think as a group, we (morbidly obese people) do have some serious issues we are dealing with. We need to seek help as needed so that we can live healthy lives- mentally and physically. Surgery doesn't "fix" anything.

If you are worried, talk to your counselor about it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views