I live in constant fear that I won't lose all my weight.

NiaLong
on 1/10/20 7:13 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Here I am at 7 months out and I am worried I am done losing weight. I don't know if i am experiencing a stall or not but the scale won't budge no matter what I do....

I have 100+ more lbs to lose (currently 287) and the scale just won't move. I've lost 97lbs since May of 2019 (and even that seems very slow compared to all the people on here).

I'm CONSTANTLY obsessing about my calorie intake (600-800), the scale and wondering if I should've gotten a Duodenal Switch instead of VSG.

What if my body is officially done losing weight? What if the years of my yo-yo dieting has completely ruined my metabolism and even VSG won't help me get to the 100's club? What if Ive damaged my body so bad the 600 calories at 287lbs is maintenance?

I just don't want to fail. I am so afraid this surgery will be for nothing. I'm worried that my body hates me and will never get the success that I want and get this weight all the way off.

catwoman7
on 1/10/20 8:04 am
RNY on 06/03/15

if you're still eating 600-800 calories a day, then you'll continue to lose weight. You're most likely in a stall. Mine got more frequent and longer the further out I got. I continued to lose weight until I was about 20 months out.

90 lbs in eight months is fine. I lost about 120 lbs at the one year mark, so you may end up being about the same.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

NiaLong
on 1/10/20 9:18 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Thank you, Catwoman7....i surely hope so...

ladygodiva1228
on 1/10/20 8:49 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You say you are eating 600-800 calories, but are you 100% as in are you measuring/weighing/tracking what you eat?

What does your daily menu look like?

Are you drinking plenty of fluids?

How long have you been in a stall?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

NiaLong
on 1/10/20 9:17 am
VSG on 04/22/19

I track everything in myfitnesspal, even down to vitamins i eat. i measure every protein i cook and eat. That is one thing I can whole-hardheartedly say I do. I drink between 60-80oz of water a day. And it's been three weeks since any weight loss. I started working about about a week into my stall.

ladygodiva1228
on 1/10/20 9:54 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You could be one who is a stair stepper loser. Meaning you stall for a few weeks and then bam you lose 5lbs.

What's your carb count like? Some folks have to do under say 30 carbs a day to keep losing. Maybe try upper your water and see if that helps.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

White Dove
on 1/10/20 10:56 am - Warren, OH

With more than 100 pounds to lose, you might be a candidate for the DS. It would add malabsorption to your restriction.

There are a lot of things to consider. It used to be pretty common for surgeons to do a sleeve first and then the rest of the DS after an initial weight loss of about 100 pounds. I have not heard of that being done in years, but it is something to discuss with your surgeon.

I did not lose any weight after the first eight months with RNY, but was at my goal weight. I did lose about another 10 pounds when I was 18 months out. But maintained in between those months.

Everyone is different. It is difficult to keep staying at 600-800 calories a day. Don't limit your options. Talk to your surgeon about what is the best thing for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Steffyren
on 1/11/20 7:20 am - New Milford, NJ
VSG on 03/20/19

don't stress. we all stall. I have been thru so many stalls in the 10 months post op. My goal was 100 lbs by Xmas and for 3 weeks prior the scale didn't move and then finally I lost the last lb. Keep up the good work. 97lbs is a lot in such a short time. Continue to move along. You will do!

TheWombat
on 1/11/20 2:54 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I had the VSG, and at 1.5 years out I am still losing at a nice rate. But I have stalls too, and at times I have had the exact same fears you have! I just went through a stall that lasted two weeks, and then one day I got on the scale and lost so much weight "overnight" that the scale said "who dis?!". (In other words, it asked me to confirm that I was the regular user and not a guest!)

I find it helpful to focus on these two questions, in this order:

1. Does my diet leave me satisfied?
  2. Am I eating few enough calories to lose weight?

If the answer to either of these is no, then I analyse my diet to look for small improvements.

The reason I put satisfaction first, is that if I feel deprived, I won't have patience during stalls. It might take you two years to lose all the weight you want. That's fine. You need to make sure your diet is one that you can maintain for however long it takes.

With that in mind, if you're really eating 600-800 calories, if your diet leaves you hungry you could probably add about 50 to 100 calories to that.

Another thing that helps me is to look at the graphs of my weight over time generated by my tracking app (I use cronometer, but my fitness pal, fitbit, and many other sites do it too). That helps me see that the stalls that feel like they last forever are only a blip on the graph, and in fact I'm losing quite steadily!

NiaLong
on 1/13/20 6:01 am
VSG on 04/22/19

Thank you for your reply! Can i ask what your diet consists of? Maybe I need to switch up the foods I eat?? I also just downloaded cronometer (the $2.99 version) so i will begin to track my weight in this app as well and see if my chart also shows what my pattern is.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views