Things are starting to get real.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/20 12:11 pm

So, I have a surgery date. February 5, 2020. The first day of a new life for me. My mother has purchased plane tickets, husband has let his work know he will be out. This is really happening. I have of course taken this whole journey very seriously but the surgery has always seemed this far off goal while I was jumping through whatever hoop has been tossed my way. Anyhow, I get the details of my 12 day liver shrinking diet from the nutritionist tomorrow.

Questions for anyone out there:

What on earth do I bring to wear in the hospital? Just comfy pants and baggy shirts were my thoughts. Then I was worried the pants might hurt the incisions... My surgeon says I have to do a 3 day stay.

Any tips on things you wish you had brought with you?

Things to remember to have in the house before I leave?

I feel kind of panicky about getting stuff together before I go. I'm sure this is just nerves and normal... I hope.

Thanks for listening or any tips anyone has.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/20 3:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You won't need much in the hospital. Wear the same baggy shirt and pants home that you wore going in. Phone/tablet, charger. Slippers for walking and going home in.

Sleep in a recliner for a week when you get home, if you have one. Have a week's worth of protein shakes, but don't stick up. Your tastes can change after surgery.

You will need a lot less than you think you will.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Maddymoe2
on 1/15/20 4:54 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I brought my own robe. It was nice when I was walking at the hospital after surgery. Good luck!

TheWombat
on 1/15/20 11:54 am
VSG on 06/11/18

The incisions probably won't bother you, especially because they'll be covered with some sort of plaster/bandage. As long as your pants aren't too snug you'll be fine.

You will want to have something that you feel comfortable walking up and down the corridors of the hospital in.

You'll love the liver shrinking diet... NOT! I found that the second day was the worst, and after that it got easier.

Some chapstick/lip balm might be helpful.

Also, don't bother buying special food before you go into the hospital. After surgery, your tastes will probably change, at least in the short term, so those protein shakes you liked before may taste yucky! By the time you have an appetite, you'll be feeling well enough for a short shopping trip, and you can get what you want then.

Of all the things I bought in preparation for surgery, the only ones that were useful were the small plates (saucer-sized) and bowls. I still use them.

catwoman7
on 1/15/20 3:33 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I still use baby spoons after almost five years post-op! I LOVE my baby spoons!

Most Active