Why am I taking in so much air???

Needtogetback45
on 1/22/20 6:49 am
VSG on 01/16/20

I am 6 days out and I notice that every time I try to drink I get massive gas bubble that comes up like I took in too much air. Am I doing something wrong or is this common? Thanks!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/23/20 9:54 am
RNY on 08/05/19

How are you drinking? Normal-size drinks? Or teeny sips? Smaller sips can help.

I'd also suggest trying different temperatures. Hot, cold, room temperature. Some people have better luck with warm water (or broth or tea) sitting in their stomach.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheWombat
on 1/24/20 8:22 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I haven't been able to figure out what to do physically to control how much air I swallow. But I have found that if I pay attention when I'm drinking, I take in less air. Conversely, if I drink absent-mindedly while doing something else, I take in more air. Perhaps that will help you.

But I don't think you need to worry about it at this early stage, unless it's causing you pain. Right now all sorts of weird things are likely to happen while you're healing from surgery. The problem may disappear entirely in a week or two. I know I suggested that swallowed air might be the cause of your problem, but it may simply be excess acid produced by your stomach.

allbygrace
on 2/2/20 5:40 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Are you drinking with a straw? I was told that would cause air in your stomach. ??? :)

Needtogetback45
on 2/2/20 6:39 am
VSG on 01/16/20

I am not drinking with a straw. Thankfull I am

2 weeks out and it's a lot better! I think it's just the way I swallow lol

venram
on 2/6/20 11:21 am
VSG on 01/30/20

It might be more common than we know. I am 7 days out and the "burps after every sip" has subsided a bit.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views