Use of Straws?

allbygrace
on 2/4/20 6:30 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

I am a little over 5 years post op.Wondering if straws are still out for me. I've been having difficulty getting in my daily water intake. So, I started measuring out my water and drinking with a straw. Thought I should ask since I'm over 5 years out, is this ok? I was told using a straw would cause air in the stomach. Is this still true years out? Thank you!

White Dove
on 2/5/20 1:26 am - Warren, OH

I use straws all of the time. Some doctors are now advising weight loss surgery patients to use straws from day one to help increase fluid intake. It is a personal choice and you are not doing anything that will hurt you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 2/5/20 4:29 am
RNY on 06/03/15

as I recall, they told me not to use them early out, but I've been using them for a long time now (I'm close to five years out)

ScaleSkater
on 2/6/20 10:34 am

They talked about this at my support group meeting Monday. They advise not to do it for the first 6 months due to bloating. Think about the volume of air that goes in prior to the liquid. It can hurt a healing stomach, but after 6 months they said go for it. Judge how you feel and if it bothers you don't do it again.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

allbygrace
on 2/6/20 4:56 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Thank you everyone! Just needed that assurance, good to go now. I just ordered 250 straws on amazon. :)

Most Active