9 years after vsg having problems- update! Its cancer.

jbskaggs
on 5/26/20 7:30 am - holt, MO

9 years ago had VSG lost 150 pounds.

Okay so my last post I was bleeding out, fatigued and on my deathbed.

Also previous to VSG had gall bladder and appendix removed.

I found out some of my issues-

First thing discovered: Kidney Stones in both kidneys- about 6 of them. uh these just suck and hurt. No other comment about them. They were caused by Lasix water pills.

2nd Thing: Pernicious Anemia: caused by the VSG. Pernicious anemia is a vitamin b12 deficiency, it causes poor blood cell production, and extreme itching of the skin. It also causes mild fatigue. Sublingual b-12 3 times a day as needed and benadryl twice a day.

3rd Thing: Normal Anemia: Caused by blood loss. Some Upper Gi bleeding as well- but it stopped. Aggravated by blood thinners to treat DVT (clots in my legs). Treated with Iron and Potassium, plus a high protein diet.

4th thing: Blood in kidneys- this was caused by stones and also led doctor to have me tested for colon cancer via blood test.

5th thing: Blood Test (colovantage) positive for colon cancer

6th thing: I have colon cancer. Will be having 24" of my ascending colon removed next wed 6/3.
BUT... the docs dont think the cancer caused the bleeding or the pain in my descending colon or transverse colon.
I had an upper Gi colonoscopy (EGD) and a lower gi colonoscopy. The stomach from the VSG looked great.
My bleeding is a Combination of tumor and polyps and hemorrhoidal artery.

7th thing: PET confirmed the cancer and showed it was only in the colon. Doc said this will be a lot easier surgery than my VSG was.

8th Thing oncologist suspects I may have a blockage in my small intestine- but its not a tumor or cancer so they wont mess with that till my cancer surgery is done and they have a diagnosis of what stage of cancer type etc. treating with Colace to keep a soft stool.

I learned from the oncologist that bariatric surgery has high correlation with colon cancer. Not that it causes it, but that there is a high incidence of cancer and weight loss surgery.

The Colonvantage blood test I think cost me $75, and is 70% to 80% accurate in detecting colon cancer. I suggest that you get checked every couple years.

SuMari
on 5/26/20 3:27 pm

I am sorry you are going through this! I am praying that you have some comfort in knowing specific issues that are causing your issues and that the vitamins/meds/surgical procedures correct everything.

LeonaCR
on 5/28/20 9:42 am

I am sorry to hear about all that you are going through. I hope and pray you are feeling better soon!

CuriousLady2020
on 5/28/20 3:39 pm

Hello jbskaggs,

I am a support person for someone going through the surgery process soon, but read your post and had to say I'm praying for the best outcome for you. Just stopping by to wish you the best.

Jaded61
on 5/29/20 5:58 pm

Oh my, you've been thru quite a few things. Good luck, take care.

thestarsarespellbound
on 6/1/20 5:57 pm

I am so sorry you have to go through all of that! I am praying for your complete and quick recovery.

-Maggie

Pobearsam7
on 6/10/20 1:53 pm

Wow sorry your going through a lot

I will keep you in my prayers

Kelly                

Most Active