I've had 2 breakdowns already...

Akmenia
on 6/20/20 1:48 pm
VSG on 07/09/20

Hello, so I have my surgery on July 9th. I figured I would try to start the liquid diet a week early to make sure I cpuld be ready when I needed to. Well the last couple days have been somewhat hard and I've sat there and cried because I was so hungry but I didn't want to break the diet.....Any help on how to feel full from protein shakes anf other help?

catwoman7
on 6/21/20 7:16 am
RNY on 06/03/15

to me, the pre-op liquid diet was the hardest part of the whole process. You just have to white knuckle it - although it does get better once your body gets into ketosis by about the 3rd or 4th day.

meanwhile, I ate SF Jello and SF popsicles with abandon since they were the only things I could have that resembled real food. I was also allowed a limited amount of clear broth and tomato juice (or V8) every day, so I took advantage of that because the sodium in those caused me to retain water, which helped me feel more full.

White Dove
on 6/21/20 5:53 pm - Warren, OH

Starting a week early did not work out for you, so just wait until you really have to do it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

PuggleDad
on 6/22/20 2:25 am

I didn't have a strict pre-op diet. Basically I just had to go clear liquids for the 2 days prior, though I started eating incredibly healthy about 6 days out. So I have no idea what it's like to be on a liquid diet for more than 2 days personally, but those 2 days definitely weren't fun. I've heard so many people talk about how horrible it is to do that for several days or even a couple weeks. I definitely agree that you shouldn't put yourself through more of that than you are told to.

3yearsandworkinghard
on 6/22/20 5:29 am
VSG on 01/04/17

It is tough...and I didn't do it as well as I should have (Christmas vacation before surgery... So - the saying that helps me - "don't let this be a road block when it is a speed bump." Just keep your eye on July 9th. It will all be worth it. And, the journey after will not be perfect either. For me, after so many failures, I had so much doubt. The end result is worth it. And - everyday give you a chance to get up and try again.

MichiD
on 6/28/20 5:28 pm
VSG on 07/09/20

Hi- I started my liquid diet as well a few days ago. It has been very challenging but I'm trying to keep my mind occupied with other things (binge watching a show, cleaning, laundry, etc). I'm down 6 pounds in just 5 days so you can do it. Hang in there.

Cathy H.
on 6/29/20 1:43 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I was on clear liquids 2 weeks prior to surgery, and the 1st week after surgery, that included 5 protein shakes per day. As another poster said, I relied a lot on sugar-free jello for chewing, and lots of good rich broth. If I can do it for 3 weeks, you can, too!!! Hang in there!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

JerseyCityGal
on 10/19/20 5:47 pm - NJ
with

Since you posted this so long ago my answer is for anyone currently going through this.

It's ok to be hungry. I don't think I was every actually hungry for a good 20 years before I had my vsg in 2014. It's so foreign to us at first. Now I've made peace with hunger. Food isn't going away. You will get to eat again, and on a regular schedule. Pho broth is good to take the edge off. Just the broth and add some lime juice. No noodles or anything. A nice hot and tasty cup is enjoyable, all liquid and will get you through the rough spots.

Most Active