Does hunger really go away?

Minnie-Me
on 5/8/21 7:40 am
VSG on 07/26/21

Hi everyone! I'm new to the sleeve having had my lap band removed recently. My sleeve surgery is in late July.

My question to the group is does the sleeve really feel different than the lap band or not having any surgery at all? I've heard this, but I'm wondering what your real life experience has been.

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if this question has been asked a million times before.

hollykim
on 5/9/21 1:52 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 8, 2021 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, Minnie-Me wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm new to the sleeve having had my lap band removed recently. My sleeve surgery is in late July.

My question to the group is does the sleeve really feel different than the lap band or not having any surgery at all? I've heard this, but I'm wondering what your real life experience has been.

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if this question has been asked a million times before.

my hunger completely went away. I eat every 2-3 hours , by the clock. I would starve if I waited to get hungry.
Sometimes, if I need to eat , and haven't paid attention to the time, I get this "antsy" feeling, and I will start thinking g of food and my body let's me k ow it needs some nourishment.

Minnie-Me
on 5/9/21 5:31 pm
VSG on 07/26/21

Thank you! Do you mind sharing what your results have been like with the surgery? I assume given that you feel no hunger and you can only eat small portions, the weight loss has been dramatic.

hollykim
on 5/9/21 5:59 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 10, 2021 at 12:31 AM Pacific Time, Minnie-Me wrote:

Thank you! Do you mind sharing what your results have been like with the surgery? I assume given that you feel no hunger and you can only eat small portions, the weight loss has been dramatic.

I started at 252 pounds. I lost 122# and have Maintained the loss for 11 years.

Wls surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Minnie-Me
on 5/10/21 3:14 am
VSG on 07/26/21

That's amazing! Congrats on your success.

White Dove
on 5/9/21 5:51 pm - Warren, OH

My hunger went away until I let carbs back into my diet. I did that at around five years out from surgery. Until I did that I stayed my goal weight. I also stayed at my goal weight for another six years with high protein, low carb. Then I had kidney damage and can no longer eat high protein, so have gained about 20 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Minnie-Me
on 5/10/21 3:16 am
VSG on 07/26/21

Yes, it sounds like carbs are a no go, even with this wls. Very sorry to hear about the kidney. I wish you the best.

Want2beMe
on 5/9/21 8:03 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Surgery was easy for me and I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. But I ended up turning to carbs and unhealthy snacks for the next 3 months, loss of motivation to exercise, and gained 5 pounds. I've been back on track with my food routine and exercise. I thought what a waste of surgery, but once I got out of my funk, I realized I was sabotaging myself. I never had lap band and after my first 3 months it was like I never had surgery.

Minnie-Me
on 5/10/21 3:19 am
VSG on 07/26/21

When you say it was like you never had surgery, does that mean your hunger came back? Or were you triggered by food even if you weren't hungry? This is my biggest fear that the lack of hunger won't be enough.

sounds like you still had success though. Congrats on that.

Want2beMe
on 5/10/21 5:01 am, edited 5/9/21 10:01 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Yes my hunger came back and yes food was/is a trigger. I have kids and they enjoy occasional chips, ice cream, cookies etc. I started seeing a therapist, but the real help came from my dietician. I need routine, some meal planning, and healthy snacks. It's really about me holding myself accountable.

Most Active