2011 VSG'ers check in

jule R.
on 4/14/23 6:43 am
VSG on 01/31/12 with

Hi!

I had the VSG back in 2011. This forum was my savior for a number of years. Life got in the way and I was not on often. I kept the weight off for a good amount of time. 2020 rocked me. Lost a family member and it destroyed me. Gained a lot of weight back. I have recently had a revision surgery (endo-procedure / stapled from inside my stomach) I feel lost. I do not even remember most of the things I did in the beginning. Liquid diet right now.

New surgeon said this is normal. That after about 10 years your stomach goes back to regular size. I am pretty sure it was emotional eating that did it for me, but never the less, here I am. So anyone from 10+ years on here still? And if so, how are you doing?

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 4/15/23 9:43 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Hi jule,

Welcome back, and congratulations on your revision!

I'm not a long-term person but wanted to let you know that the most active board on here is the RNY board. They welcome folks with any surgery type and there are a couple of sleevers who participate.

If you're interested in support, there's a pretty active daily menu thread people post to. A good number of folks there are 5+ years post surgery and give great feedback and advice.

Wishing you well!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

JoeyJo
on 6/8/23 11:19 am - NJ

I had my VSG in 2014 and gained back 60-70 lbs of my 108 loss after grief, pandemic, more grief surgeries, custody of my grandsons, etc.

I've been beating myself up for putting myself last, and ruining my hard fought weight loss. I will contact my surgeon to see if a revision is needed!

PaulaToronto
on 7/10/23 10:08 am - Toronto, Canada

I had my surgery in 2011 too. I have regained and relost over the years and was seeing an uphill trajectory. I was so tired of dieting all of my life (in my mid 60s) and knew I had to address my issues once and for all. I read " Food Junkies" by Dr. Vera Tarman and joined her FB page and had a lightbulb moment. I knew I had disordered eating but soon realized I was addicted to certain foods as well. I went totally sugar free and processed food free and my weight stabilized for the first time in my life. I have lived this lifestyle for about 4 years now having two relapses but have been on point for over two years now straight. The peace is incredible. I eat a low carb diet as I am still diabetic so very little flour and grains. I focus on protein and veg with very limited fruit and dairy. I love this lifestyle and my body loves it too. I don't obsess over food and no more binging at all which is huge for me. Was it hard - not really - as the way I was living and eating was killing me. IMHO there is no other solution so worth a try. Surgery is a tool and unless you make lifestyle changes you will not be successful - my experience. I was looking into a revision as well but gave the sugar free grain free lifestyle a try and found it so healing.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active