Recent Posts

AnnieG522
on 12/10/18 6:17 am
VSG on 10/05/17
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Monday, 12/10/2018

Good morning Gwen, and all! NC has snow (in December is about 2 months early if we get any at all). Of course it comes to a standstill here. I'm from the Pacific NW where there are mountains & snow; husband is from upstate NY with lots of snow.

That said two of our neighbors came and "stole" all the snow off our porch, driveway, and sidewalk! The percs of being an older couple (71,66) in the midst of families. We've lived in this house 30 years next September, so we are the oldest original residents. Jim is still very active, and he is called "State Farm" by the neighborhood - because "like a good neighbor, he's always there" with tools, experience and skills.

QOTD: Who have you noticed missing here recently? I seem to miss posts from Ann VGS, although I know she's around. Just love that woman and am in another group with her. I haven't been here very long.

B: Coffee with premier protein shake

L: & D: No plan; antibiotic stomach and can't taste food, so just trying to wat nutrition makers.

Exercise: I hope regular breathing counts!

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs

1 MO = 167.0
2 MO = 156.4
3 MO = 148.4
4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0
6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL)
1 YR = 122.0
Inches: 50.5 lost

Gwen M.
on 12/10/18 5:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Saturday, 12/8/2018

I forgot to answer the QOTD!

I'd love to see Shawshank Redemption in the theater, since it came out when I was a senior in high school and I wasn't able to see it in the theater originally. I really feel like I should pick some super awesome special effects movie that really requires a big screen, but I can't think of any that I didn't see in the theater! And that I'd want to see in the theater now.. It might be fun to see the original Star Wars in the theater, but only if it was truly the original version without the subsequent editing. I need Han to shoot first, yo.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 41 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 12/10/18 4:55 am, edited 12/10/18 5:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14
Topic: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Monday, 12/10/2018

Good morning, all, and happy Monday! There's snow here from yesterday, but our road looks plowed so the main roads should all be fine. Some schools are closed or have late openings, an odd occurrence in December.

I've got a lovely day ahead of me - pilates class, only one errand on the way home (or on the way there), and some reading for school work to set up for the deliverables due this week. I got my weekly discussion posts done for this week yesterday, which is a great place to be! This is week 8 of my classes, the LAST week of the term, and then it's FOUR ENTIRE WEEKS of vacation. I can't wait. I've been dragging since the summer term and I really just need a good reset to get my intentions and motivation back where they should be.

QOTD: Who have you noticed missing here recently? I was thinking about the poster from Australia who used to post regularly, but seems to have vanished. :( I suck with names, though, so I can't remember their name. Who else has vanished? If you're feeling creative, make up a story about why they're gone! For example, I predict our friend in Australia has probably used her newfound energy and strength to start up a side business wrestling kangaroos and has become the Next Australian Superstar as a result.

1: protein shake
2: I don't know - I've been feeling so meh about lunch recently.
3: slow cooker balsamic roast beef; roasted potatoes for the guys

liquid and vites: on track
exercise: intermediate mat pilates class

How about you?

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Gwen M.
on 12/9/18 4:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14
Topic: RE: WATCHA EATING TODAY, VSGers? Sunday, December 9, 2018

It's been a good day here since I'm on top of my school work for the first time this term. Woo. Still did work, but felt leisurely about it.

I agree with Kristi about the steroids.

QOTD: I'm sure, as a kid, I liked building snow forts and having snowball fights. Now, as an adult, I actually really like shoveling snow. Go figure, right? :)

1: protein shake
2: um, some leftover cauliflower. Lots of protein there...
3: sausage tortellini skillet thing - more sausage than tortellini.

liquid and vites: on track
exercise: nope!

Gwen M.
on 12/9/18 4:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14
Topic: RE: 3 year post VSG--struggling

Hiya and welcome! It's great that you've taken the first steps. Here are some other things that might help!

If you aren't already, start measuring and tracking everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal. From there, work on getting back to your basics. Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (protein shake for breakfast is my exception since I've never liked putting solid food in my stomach first thing in the morning)
a. Don't drink with meals or for 30 minutes after eating
6. Weigh portions and track/log what you consume
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
a. Try to eat at a table
b. Eat with utensils
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh yourself daily
a. But focus on the trend of your weight, not the day to day fluctuations
10. Be kind to yourself
a. Take your vitamins every day
b. Track your own lab results - you're your own best advocate
c. Get a yearly DEXA scan to be sure your bones are healthy

You CAN do this!

ankarew
on 12/9/18 4:17 pm
Topic: RE: Two-Year-Surgiversary-12-06-2018

gorgeous pics! congrats on your surgiversary :) great tips ! wishing you the best with mental health too. it's wonderful you're prioritizing physical and mental well being.

did you have any co morbidities that the vsg helped resolve? i was just curious :). no pressure to answer.

Skippy1
on 12/9/18 11:21 am - MI
Topic: RE: Complications

VSG has been put off for now until I heal from the gallbladder deal. I am just trying to follow a healthy diet and keep losing weight

Age 61, Ht 5'11'', HW 303, CW 262, SW 000, GW 000

Kristi T.
on 12/9/18 9:47 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16
Topic: RE: WATCHA EATING TODAY, VSGers? Sunday, December 9, 2018

Good morning! Our little bit of snow went away, but the mountains are whiter than white! My dog loves the snow too. She would even go swimming in the lake if I let her. This is her kind of weather! I'm going to a Christmas concert today hoping it will help get me in the spirit.

As to your question about the steroids, I would call your pharmacist. But my experience with them is the fluid retention begins to go away when the dosage is lowered while tapering down. I remember it being pretty fast.

QOTD-I grew up in the eastern part of Washington(desert type climate) but skiing wasn't too far away. I used to love skiing, but it doesn't appeal to me now. Now that I live in Montana their is an abundance of winter activities. I would like to try snow shoeing, but for now I hike as long as I can before the snow stops me.

B-1/3 cup granola, bullet coffee

L-5%Fage with peaches and pecans

S-Hot tea

D-Leftover zucchini lasagna

E-late afternoon walk with Emmy

I hope everyone has a peaceful Sunday!

Kristi T.
on 12/9/18 9:35 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I am so glad you took the first step and contacted your surgeon. Hope to see you come back to OH and let us know how you are doing and how we can help. I agree, checking out the menu threads is so helpful. There is support, information and accountability. Good luck tomorrow at your appointment!

catwoman7
on 12/9/18 6:53 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with the above comment - check out the menu threads or better yet, participate on them! There are menu threads for both RNY and VSG, but the members don't really care which surgery you've had - we have some VSG'ers on the RNY menu thread and vice versa (and a couple of people participate on both!)

I find it helpful because it forces me to think about what I'm going to eat that day. I do better when I plan, even if I don't always end up following my plan to a "T". Also, it's helpful to see what others are eating (I've gotten some great ideas from there), and you'll meet some really great people there. And lastly, something about checking in every morning - either reading through the thread and/or posting on it - keeps my head in the game. I find I have to remind myself every day that I've had WLS and I need to follow rules or I'll end up gaining the weight back. Being on that thread every morning serves to remind me of this every day!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

Plastic Surgery 08/10/18 and 12/07/18 by Lawrence Zachary (Chicago, IL)