Recent Posts

catwoman7
on 2/17/19 8:57 am
RNY on 06/03/15
Topic: RE: 3 years out in May- stuck

I had to switch over to calorie counting (while still counting protein, of course) when I was about a year or so out. At that point I could eat a lot more than I could the first few months after surgery, so overeating (for a WLS patient, anyway) became more of a risk.

start logging your food and after a week or two, figure out what your average calorie intake level is (you have to do an average since it could vary from day to day). Then if you want to lose weight, take it down by a couple hundred calories. If it's still not enough, then drop it again. And so on. Eventually, you'll find your sweet spot..

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

Plastic Surgery 08/10/18 and 03/29/19 by Lawrence Zachary (Chicago, IL)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 145 LW: 138 CW: 150

Allieee3
on 2/17/19 7:28 am
VSG on 02/20/19
Topic: RE: Elevated liver count question

You're right. It's so nerve-wracking because I've gotten my short-term disability approved, the two weeks off scheduled, and paid for surgery. But you're right. Thank you for your reassurance. That helps a lot.

Gwen M.
on 2/17/19 6:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14
Topic: RE: Elevated liver count question

I know it's easier said than done, but take some deep breaths. It will work out. The worst case is that you might have to delay surgery to get the liver levels sorted out, and that you'll have a safer surgery for having done so.

It's so easy to panic when you're in that stage between "knowing something is wrong" and "not knowing what will happen."

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 41 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 2/17/19 6:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14
Topic: RE: Liver question

I'm sorry - you're in that horrible period of "having just enough information to get scared," which is a challenging place to be!

I recommend asking your doctor what follow ups will entail, because worrying about this isn't awesome. Remember you can always seek a second opinion and you can ask doctors lots of questions. Do you have another appointment scheduled? When you go to the next appointment, take a list of questions you have and let the doctor know at the start of the appointment, "hey, I've got some questions I want to ask."

I had an experience many years ago, a few years before I had WLS, where I had some weird looking stuff on my liver. I ended up seeing an oncologist, which was a bit scary since oncology = cancer in my brain, but the oncologist was also a hematologist. I had a PET scan, and ultimately it was determined that the weird spots were just like moles - nothing to be worried about. Lots of blood work too during that time period.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 41 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

gh438
on 2/17/19 4:58 am, edited 2/16/19 8:59 pm
VSG on 10/18/18
Topic: RE: Is VSG really worth it?

I know I'm only 3 months out so take it for what it's worth but YES!!!!! It is totally worth it. I've been doing good on my weight loss and I just had labs done last week and everything came out great. The most important thing to me though is how I feel. Every day feels like a new beginning. It's the most amazing feeling. From that aspect alone I would say it is worth it.

The journey is not an easy one but its one you don't have to travel alone. No matter what obstacles get thrown in your path along the way always remember why you're on the journey.

Surgery Date: 10/18/2018

6'1" Male

HW: 471. SW: 459 (post). GW: 225

Joanna B
on 2/16/19 7:07 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15
Topic: Liver question

I am sleeved 4 years this March. In November I started experiencing nausea and fatigue. In Dec 2018 I had my gallbladder removed but started experiencing severe pain in my right side of my abdomen. I am now seeing a gastrologist who did a ultrasound and discovered I have scarring and A course liver which may also be fatty??. They are not sure what is caused it (I don't drink much at all if ever) but said all my blood work is great that my liver is not enlarged and the last text I had in Jan 2018 showed my liver was perfect. The doc said they will do follow up but did not go into details on what this would entail. The doc also said my liver would not be causing the pain but nothing else showed on the ultrasound.

I am confused on what may cause this scarring on my liver so quick and if this is something I should be worried about. I don't know how bad the scaring is yet and what my next steps would be. I was just wondering if anyone else went though this with your liver and what your experience was.

Thanks for all you help!

Allieee3
on 2/16/19 3:53 pm
VSG on 02/20/19
Topic: Elevated liver count question

Has anyone had to have their PCP clear them for elevated liver levels? I'm scheduled for the sleeve this upcoming Wednesday and was told about two hours ago (had final pre-op testing today) that I need to have my doctor clear me before I can have surgery per the request of anesthesia.

I've had the time off approved through my work and everything. The nurse said it really should be fine.....but I'm freaking out really bad. I've worked so long and hard at this.

nevermore71
on 2/16/19 3:17 pm
VSG on 01/08/18
Topic: RE: Can I use honey on OPTIFAST diet?

I don't know anything about the optifast diet. But a medium strawberry is only one carb and only 4 calories so maybe blending in a couple of strawberries will make it more palatable.

Kays
on 2/16/19 3:16 pm
VSG on 12/18/17
Topic: RE: Whatcha Eating Today VSGers? Saturday February 16, 2019

Hello all- busy day but at least it's Saturday- yay!!!

QOTD: If I could have any summer toy- it would be a pool! I would never get one- I live in Northeast Ohio and would probably never be able to enjoy it due to our erratic weather! This summer was actually the first I went swimming outdoors here over the past 3 summers! The 2 summers prior to last summer were damp and semi-cool. Not hot enough for me to go swimming outside.

M1: eggs, bacon and cheese scramble

M2: grilled chicken breast

M3: grilled chicken breast

S: cheese and salami roll

accountability:I have to really stick to plan today- I messed around and ate a full size candy bar yesterday :(

nevermore71
on 2/16/19 3:05 pm
VSG on 01/08/18
Topic: RE: 3 years out in May- stuck

Try logging every bite. Even when I think I'm doing good when not logging, I lose more logging. I would aim for about 1200 calories a day. Instead of aiming for low carb, aim for low calorie. Just make sure you get a minimum of 60 grams of protein in. Things like 80 calorie greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, baked chicken, most fruits and veggies are great low calorie options. As long as I log everything and keep my calories low I lose weight. It's that simple.

Exercise is great for health and keeping your skin from hanging on you. It really helps the way you feel. Do it for you not for weight loss.