Recent Posts

AnnieG522
on 6/7/19 9:09 am
VSG on 10/05/17
Topic: RE: WATCHA EATING TODAY VSGers? 07 JUNE 2019

QOTD: Are you a "rescuer" personality, and what's the best lesson you've learned about rescuing other people? Oh my, yes I am, but now mostly with my adult-children rather than friends. I have learned that the impulse is very well intentioned, but the message sent is that I don't believe that you're able to do it yourself.

I used to try to help friends, but have learned that mostlly people want to be heard and acknowledge, rather than fixed. And it certainly was easier to focus on other people, than face some of my own ghosties and demons, lol.

I am very grateful that one of the gifts of aging is that life gets clearer in so many ways.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

AnnieG522
on 6/7/19 9:05 am
VSG on 10/05/17
Topic: WATCHA EATING TODAY VSGers? 07 JUNE 2019

Good afternoon! So I've been off line between traveling and then illness (must have met every germy soul in every state we stopped in). I've missed the forum.

QOTD: Are you a "rescuer" personality, and what's the best lesson you've learned about rescuing other people? I will answer in the comments.

B: Premier protein shake with lots of coffee

S: Homemade low fat chex mix with nuts, 1/4C

L: Chicken caeser salad

D: 1/2 Mountain grain turkey/provolone sandwich

S: Chobani Key lime yogurt

NOT doing well on the water for some reason..and beginning another cold.

HW: 240 lbs CW: 205 lbs: SW: 199 lbs GW: 130 lbs
1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
5 MO = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0 (GOAL) 20 MO = 133
"At the evening of our life, we shall be judged by our love."

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/19 8:50 pm
VSG on 03/21/19
Topic: RE: How often do you eat?

At 3 weeks post op a typical day for me was the following:

B: 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, decaf tea

S: 1/2 protein shake

L: 1/4 cup split pea soup

D: 1/4 cup tomato soup

Shadi1358
on 6/6/19 3:14 pm
Topic: RE: Soft Food Diet

After how long were you guys able to have a glass of wine?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/6/19 2:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: Arthritis pain

>> Very little is absorbed systemically and it is unlikely to cause problems with a healed VSG.

Let's leave that call to the doctors, then :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/19 1:30 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/18/17

I did suggest to confirm with her surgeon which I think is reasonable. Not all surgeons are that strict when it comes to topicals. Very little is absorbed systemically and it is unlikely to cause problems with a healed VSG. My surgeon doesn't particularly care if her patients use diclofenac gel. I don't think the immediate response should be to tell someone this is a no-go. If they're having pain, it's reasonable to ask their surgeon which is what I suggested.

TheWombat
on 6/6/19 11:26 am
VSG on 06/11/18

At that point my focus (and my dietitian's focus) wasn't really on a specific number of meals, or even a specific number of calories or grams of protein (yet). Instead, it was on 1) getting plenty of fluids, and 2) slowly experimenting with new foods according to the schedule I was given, and finding out what foods I could tolerate and in what quantities. I think it was something like 4 to 6 "meals" a day, but some of those meals were literally just one or two bites of something.

Sorry if that's kind of vague. It was an exciting time, but also a bit overwhelming at times, particularly trying to juggle the timing of drinking fluids vs eating meals.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/6/19 8:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Topical NSAIDs are also absorbed in the bloodstream and can lead to ulcers, so if your surgeon says no NSAIDs, the topical stuff is also a no-go.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 6/6/19 6:33 am - Warren, OH

At eleven years out, I eat five times a day, with four hours between.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KatiR82
on 6/6/19 6:18 am - NJ
VSG on 06/20/19
Topic: RE: I Got A Surgery Date!

Thank you so much I am so excited and nervous at the same time but I know God is with me and I will do absolutely good on the written test.