Recent Posts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/28/19 8:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: I'm so frustrated. Somedays I feel cursed - only 3lbs weight loss in the SECOND month post op.

Protein is important, but ultimately it's calories that determine weight loss. If you're getting 80g protein but consuming 2000 calories, you won't see much weight loss.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Round_Tiger
on 7/28/19 6:47 pm
VSG on 07/09/19
Topic: RE: I'm so frustrated. Somedays I feel cursed - only 3lbs weight loss in the SECOND month post op.

I experienced a stall (and even gained 3 lbs in that stall) in my 2nd week after surgery. Like you, I was freaking the ** out! I was lucky if I was even hitting 800 calories with what I was eating, and walking everyday on the treadmill. There was no possible way anybody eating that little and doing cardio every day would not be doing what it took to lose weight. With or without the surgery. I made a post on here, did lots of reading and watching videos, and finally talked to my doctor's nurse practitioner (the doctor who performed the surgery). This is what I got from all of that:

Your body has a system that is calibrated between your weight and basic health, and this system is controlling your metabolism rate and hunger. When we lose a bunch of weight, this system detects that and thinks we're starving. So it slows metabolism way down, and will try to increase your hunger (good luck). So when we experience a stall, understand that it may be something you're not doing right, but it is much more likely that this system I described is doing its job and putting the brakes on losing anything. Once it stabilizes out and finds synchronicity with all factors involved, then is when you will start losing. In laymen's terms, when it catches its breath on the weight we are losing, it chills out and we start losing again (provided we're doing what we're supposed to be doing).

In my humble opinion, if I were you I'd continue to follow the plan but realize this is what is happening. Don't freak out and try to reinvent the wheel here. The whole thing makes sense if you stop and think about it. The body is an amazing thing. And if you graph the progress of losing weight on a daily basis, it will not be a perfectly straight line. It is in the very beginning, but for me it's starting to get much more slowed down, and I'm fine with that. A realistic goal I set for myself was a pound a week. If I lose more than that, freaking awesome! If I don't hit that, keep nose down and full speed ahead, it'll happen. I think our will power alone is something that is absolutely necessary to continue on this journey.

kocindy
on 7/28/19 6:32 pm
Topic: RE: Did my doctor make a mistake?

Thank you so much. This is really helpful.

Blood work has always been good, but I've also always eaten a little more protein because it was easy to meet the goal. But I was never deliberately aiming for numbers as high as yours.

I DID have LOTS of hair loss. I could never figure it out. This might be why. I don't know.

Will ask my doctor just to be sure.

But your reply is very insightful. Thank you.

And good luck with getting your labs back up.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/19 4:33 pm
Topic: RE: Did my doctor make a mistake?

Lately I was not eating enough because my blood work showed very low proteins.

My personal goal for proteins intake is app 100-120 grams per day. And trying to have proteins at every meal, even if it is a small amount.

The most important is how are the results of your blood work? Are you at least maintaining your muscles mass?

For an adult male - I saw recommendation of 65-100 grams of proteins, but 2x as much during recovery from any surgery, or while weight lifting/ body building.

When my daily proteins intake is less than 80-100 grams, my blood work often shows deficiencies.

When at my goal weight, or below, and I need to make sure my body doesn't use the proteins as energy. I need to make sure my meals have more proteins and other foods my body can use as fuel. I often pair my proteins with fat, i.e avocado, mayo, or even butter to top my steak with it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kocindy
on 7/28/19 3:50 pm
Topic: Did my doctor make a mistake?

How much protein is eating? Roughly half their body weight, but using that for the number of grams? For instance, if you weigh 250 lbs, are you esting about 125g of protein?

The goal my doctor gave me ---years ago after surgery---was 65-85 grams. I was close to about 265 lbs at the time I believe. I've been easily meeting that.

But today I saw a formula for calculating protein intake (divide weight by 2.2 to convert it to grams, them multiply by about 1.7 for someone who is moderately active). Using that I should have been at 204g of protein, which seems crazy high.

But I wonder if that formula is not for people with bariatric surgery. Or if the clinician at my doctor's office accidentally put my weight at 165, instead of 265 when calculating my protein goal way back then..

How much protein is every eating per day, and at what rate?

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/19 3:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Do you weigh and log every bite that you eat, down to the fraction of an ounce?

If you do, and your calories are under 800, and carbs are low, keep doing what you are doing. It will happen.

If you aren't weighing and logging every last taste, you are just guessing at how much you are eating. Guessing will always lead to slower loss, regain, and lots of sleepless nights.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

tracyringo
on 7/28/19 12:26 pm
VSG on 08/09/17

How much did you lose on the 2 week liquid diet and how much the first month ?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/19 11:52 am
Topic: RE: Eating to much? No weight loss? Suggestions and (kind) criticism welcome!

IMO, the first 28 lbs loss was not realistic loss. Some may have been water that since then your body got back in and since then you lost the real weight. During my first month I lost app 12 lbs, the following month, app 10. Soon 2 months I lost less than you did.

Some people lose in stair-step type pattern. They lose a bunch, them nothing, them lose a bunch. Not the weekly or even monthly loss but a total loss, average loss is important.

If I lose 10 lbs in 1-2 weeks, I may expect next 2-4 weeks to be without weight loss but my body would change the shape and size. That is expected. Be patient. That's what you need.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hollykim
on 7/28/19 10:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 28, 2019 at 12:57 PM Pacific Time, NiaLong wrote:

I've struggled to lose weight my entire life. I feel as though my body FIGHTS to keep me fat no matter what.

I am in the second month(I know its just the 28th of July but its practically the end of the month) post op and have ONLY lost 3lbs. I just don't get it. My protein intake is between 60-80 grams, I take my vitamins, I get good sleep, I stay away from ALL sugar. I just don't understand how I can be on the second month and only 3lbs.

I'm just feeling like I'm not going to have good success with this sleeve. I'm not expecting 15lbs every month but with me being 340lbs currently, I expect at least 10.

I'm just upset.

you may need to up your protein to 100 gms a day . What else are you eating? We might can help tweak...

lbalaw2
on 7/28/19 8:05 am
VSG on 09/19/17

Many people share your frustration. Look a the forum on this site for 3 week stall. Many people experience it. It is vital to track every morsel you put into your mouth. It is very easy to take in more calories than you think. Weigh and measure everything. There are many phone apps you can download for this purpose. Fat Secret, My Fitness Pal, Baritastic, to name a few. At this stage you should really only be taking in approximately 600 calories. Everyone varies but that is on the high side for your stage post-op.

You did not talk about your fluid intake. This is the most vital. At least 64 ounces a day. That is the minimum intake. Evidence has shown that we excrete fat from our bodies through respiration and through urination. Try increasing your fluid intake (you can count protein shakes as fluid) and be aware of everything that passes you lips.

You can do this. Your body is recovering. Try not to be discouraged. You took a brave step to better your health. It will pay off if you are able to stay the course and keep coming to this website for information and support. All the advise here was very helpful to me and can be for you also. Best of Luck, and be kind to yourself.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views