Recent Posts

Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
on 6/4/19 7:32 am
Topic: The #AskDrA Show | Episode 172 | Smoking Before Surgery, Reflux & Hair Loss

Good Morning!

Don't forget to check out the new episode of the #AskDrA Show!

https://youtu.be/zvkCAqu4nFI

Regards

Dr. A

jroowoo
on 6/4/19 7:20 am
VSG on 05/24/19 with
Topic: RE: How Much Time off work?

I just returned to work as a teacher yesterday. 10 days post op and I feel fine. Definitely need a solid week mostly for the anesthesia to fully wear off. That was my case lingering effects from that, but I feel great now.

MyBariatricLife
on 6/3/19 8:29 pm
Topic: RE: Are most of you happy with your decision to have this surgery?

Yes, I am. However, I think that I would have been better off with the gastric sleeve or duodenal switch in stead of the bypass. I've had too many nutritional deficiencies owing to the bypass. Despite taking gobs of vitamins they are not properly absorbed because the part of the intestine where enzymes empty into from the gall bladder and pancreas is bypassed. This has had serious health implications and serious financial burden. The sleeve was not available when I had WLS in 2003 and my surgeon did not do the DS. So I chose the bypass. It really was "THE" surgery at the time.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 6/3/19 1:32 pm

I absolutely eat like a normal healthy woman. I had WLS in 2003... don't recall at what point I was able to eat like a normal person (vs an obese person or a WLS patient) as I have been doing so for many many years.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MarWils
on 6/3/19 9:53 am

I had my RNY 13 years ago and have never regretted it for an instant! I can eat all the food I ate before but am much more selective in what I put in my mouth. I lost 100 lbs and over the years managed to regain 30 lbs so over the past 4 months I paid more attention to my choices and got back on track. I lost 20 lbs and am quite happy with where I am now...not worried about the 10 lbs...it's common to regain a couple of pounds and at the age of 70 if I lose much more I'll look haggard! So yes, I would do it again with no regrets and yes, you can enjoy holiday meals and celebration dinners, you just won't eat as much!

animallover1247
on 6/2/19 10:26 pm

I would NEVER discourage anyone from having the surgery. However. I regret my surgery because I've had nothing but complications literally from day 1. I've had 5 surgeries because of complications and getting ready to have my 6th one in 4 days at Cleveland Clinic because I now have candy cane syndrome. I almost died when I had surgery #4 which was sleeve to bypass revision because I almost bled to death. For me, the complications have been worse to deal with than the problems I had before surgery. It's just my own experience but I would never tell anyone not to have the surgery because the chances of them having the problems I've had is 0.

kathkeb
on 6/2/19 8:55 pm
Topic: RE: Soft Food Diet

I'm 6 weeks post op and can't get more than about N ounce of moist chicken or 2 Oz of tuna at a meal.

I make a cup of coffee (decaf for the first month, allowed to have caffeine after that) and mix 6 ounces of cold coffee with a vanilla pre-made protein shake and 1/2 of a chocolate one .... so, I'm getting 45 grams of protein from that and then supplementing with food.

Kath

Partlypollyanna
on 6/2/19 6:48 am
RNY on 02/14/18
Topic: RE: Best advice post VSG for success?

During the 6 month insurance requirement phase, my RD had me focus on a couple of things to change each month and I picked the three things based to have a mix of easy and hard.

My first month, the three things were 1) each lunch daily; 2) focus on portion control; 3) stop carbonated water;

Month 2 we continued on eating lunch daily; added the each meal tracking with who/what/where/how did I feel element and had me start trying protein shakes to find one I liked;

Month 3 moved from portion size to actual calorie counting (so taking the prior two months and building a skill); added the post surgery vitamin regimen; and continued the tracking/logging (on paper)

Month 4 and 5 were much more about prepping and ensuring I understood the progression post surgery and was committed to the exercise and vitamin requirements but also reinforced months 1-3.

Essentially, no one expected me to be perfect in the 6 months but they wanted to see behavioral changes that showed i understood what needed to happen in the future and that I could sustain the changes.

Use this time to work on what you can; give yourself grace where it's hard...and work on your brain...my brain still needs the most work!

Good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 CW:144.8 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19), next goal - 132.9

Jen

ocean4dlm
on 6/2/19 6:37 am - Green Cove Springs, FL
VSG on 05/27/15

The surgery was just a tool to help me make the major shift from living to eat to eating to live. Four years out, I am still finding my new normal. All of the things that were my normal would put me right back where I started. This was a major commitment to addressing my disordered eating. Having VSG was a lifesaving gift that enables me to live a healthy, active life as long as I follow the guidelines.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/1/19 10:42 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: Best advice post VSG for success?

The fact that you "can't seem to get it together" is the very reason you're having surgery! Don't be too hard on yourself, do your best and honestly it will be easier-- albeit still hard work-- after you're sleeved.

You will be able to keep the weight off after surgery, if you work your tool correctly, because you will be physically unable to eat the volume that you can right now. WLS will also affect your metabolism and hormones, so your body will be quite different after surgery day. You can do it :)

Regarding advice, the best thing to do is to get into the habit of weighing, measuring, and logging everything you eat. The most successful vets who have maintained their weight loss for years continue to log everything using MyFitnessPal or similar. Staying accountable is super important, and many people find that as soon as they start slacking on that front, it's much easier to make excuses and get (and stay) off track.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active