Recent Posts

Roselane
on 6/1/19 7:36 pm
Topic: RE: Best advice post VSG for success?

It is incredibly overwhelming! I am only five months out, but for me tracking has probably been most important.

One thing that is super important when making large-scale behavior change is to not try and make all of the changes at once. I made a list of everything I needed to do and kind of slowly chipped away at things. Maybe set a goal to meet one goal in one or two weeks and then set another goal. This is easier said than done. For me, reality was messier than this. Sometimes, I would not achieve a goal and would switch to something easier and then go back to the tough goal later. However, at some point, I looked back and couldn't believe how many behaviors I had changed! I recommend starting with the easier goals first to get some momentum going. I saved caffeine until the end because I knew that would be worst and it totally was!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

Roselane
on 6/1/19 4:44 pm
Topic: RE: Are most of you happy with your decision to have this surgery?

I am sure there are people out there *****gret having the surgery, but my only regret is everything I missed by waiting so long.

You mentioned things like feeling normal and Thanksgiving. The feeling normal is something I worried about, and it has been hard sometimes. However, I think people who are a year or so out are probably closer to "normal" than an obese person. I am almost five months out and have only eaten out a few times, always having soup. However, yesterday was my first restaurant experience that felt fairly normal. We went to my favorite restaurant to celebrate something and I ate two large scallops (which was all that were served), about 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes (about half of the serving), and a few bites of zucchini. (About 1/4 of the serving). I should mention that some people wouldn't touch potatoes, but I am using the carbs as a rare treat approach. Otherwise, I know feeling deprived will eventually lead to regain for me. Anyway, I asked them not to bring bread and there was a brief moment of feeling bummed because this place has the best bread and fresh butter ever, but then I completely forgot about it until just now. What I did not anticipate about this surgery is that I rarely feel like I am missing out because the urge to eat is pretty much gone and, while have recently started experiencing some pleasure from food, it is nowhere near as rewarding as it used to be. I know that may sound like a negative, and there is no way to really even explain how different it is, I think it is something that has to be experienced. For me, it is a change that I absolutely love. Thanksgiving might suck a bit when it comes, but most days are not Thanksgiving and on those days I feel happy and relieved to not be fighting hunger and cravings.

this is just my experience, but I hope it helps!

Highest weight: 350, Surgery weight: 317

VSG: 1/9/19

No longer obese goal: 185, Healthy weight goal: 150

Weight loss per month: 1=22, 2=12, 3=9.5, 4=11.5, 5=8, 6=9

meggieprice
on 6/1/19 3:42 pm
Topic: RE: Taking my present prescribed opiate meds before/during surgery concerns!

Hi there,

My concerns being someone on dilaudid for years going into a surgery are not nearly the same as yours as I know the mechanism of methadone is entirely different.

However, I have a good friend who I met in a fibromyalgia and chronic pain support group. She just had a hip replacement. She is also on methadone and I know she was able to get some relief from other opioids though it took quite a while for them to find the right combo for her. At first the oxycodone was way too strong for her and made her too wired. However, I do know that regular opioids did work. The upside is also that if you are already dependent they do not have the same fears about giving them to you,.

Good luck!

KayLaw4170
on 6/1/19 12:58 pm
VSG on 10/10/19

Yeah that is strange but makes sense. Also when I'm looking in the mirror everyday it's so hard to notice ANY change. So pictures I definitely will do. I plan on documenting this whole process. I want to look back and feel good about how far I've cone one day ..I also want to use the pictures as inspiration for what I DON'T want to go back to.

Mary Gee
on 6/1/19 10:03 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

"Eat Normally". What does that mean to you?

If it means pulling up a chair and eating a plate or two piled with mashed potatoes, stuffing, marshmallow yam bake, green bean casserole, and a slice of turkey, followed by a desert plate...no, you won't be able to eat normally.

It it means having a serving of turkey with some veggies and a spoonful of mashed potatoes and a spoonful of dressing...yes...as long as the spoonsfull of potatoes and dressing are a special holiday treat and not a regular occurrence.

The post-op program lasts until you reach goal weight. Then you go into maintenance mode which allows you a bit more freedom, but still restricts your eating. If you go back to your pre-op eating habits, you'll likely regain most or all of your weight back.

You've got to wrap your ahead around the fact that the surgery is a tool...but you have to change your eating habits for life.

I am thrilled I had the surgery. I made the mistake of going off-track for an e tended period of time. Stopped losing weight and did not reach goal. Maintained loss for a while, then started to gain weight. Struggled for a long time and just got back on track this past December. Losing weight now, and hope to reach goal this Fall. It is a struggle at times, but so worth it. I love being able to move about, to sit anywhere I want to, to buy clothes at any store. To look in the mirror and feel proud of myself!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

MLC45
on 6/1/19 9:45 am

19 years post-op and would do it again. The only thing I regret is not sticking to the correct eating habits around year 6-7. That put me on a path of regain that I'm now having to fix. I know there will always be some people out there that aren't happy with WLS, but I encourage everyone who has over 100 lbs to lose to highly consider it.

meggieprice
on 6/1/19 8:31 am
Topic: RE: Gallstones??!!

Hi there- I had my sleeve in 2011. In May 2018 I had what was determined to be a gall bladder attack- had a couple of stones like you do. I decided to try to manage it as, with the sleevfe, I do not eat a lot of fat at once and I was not sure . it had truly been my gall bladder.

Fast forward to Saturday- a year almost to the day later I developed intense pain in my midriff area along with horrible pressure. This ER visit found pancreatitis, which was caused by a gallstone getting into the pancreatic duct. Thogh it had passed I knew this time I faced more of the same- couldn't know when...but I faced the music and had my gall bladder out on Tuesday.

Sadly the truth is VSG causes a tendency to gall stones due to rapid weight loss and having regained some weight over the years I had lost rapidly again in 2018- hence the stones then.

I know two stones is not a lot but it only takes one to do a lot of damage. Pancreatitis can be really serious- even fatal.

Good luck to you!

White Dove
on 6/1/19 7:43 am

Another thing that is very helpful is when you are looking at your before and after pictures is to cover up your head. When your brain sees your face, it automatically associates the body it remembers going with that face.

By covering the face you can really see the body changes.

Strange, but it works.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

reree6898
on 6/1/19 5:29 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I would do it over again in a heartbeat. It has been the absolute best decision I have ever made for myself. It truly gave me my life.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

reree6898
on 6/1/19 5:27 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Make sure you set realistic and healthy goals. Also for me I have to stay accountable. I do this by weighing myself every day (and in that I know there are normal daily fluctuations). Some advise to only weigh once a week but you have to decide what is best for you. Also I have over 1300 consecutive days of logging everything I eat into My Fitness Pal so that I know exactly what my protein and calories and all are for the day every day. It was also helpful for me to write a blog. I keep it set private so it was more of a journal I guess but I write about why I did this and I have written about successes I have had and some not so great reality moments along the way. It helps when there are rough patches to go back and see where I was at the start and why I made the choice to do this. One other thing that has been helpful is to do pictures and measurements. I took a monthly picture from the front and side in front of the same doorway so that I had a way to see the changes as they happened. When I couldn't see the changes in the mirror I could look at the pictures and be encouraged by seeing the differences from month to month.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Most Active