Andrea D.’s Posts

Andrea D.
on 8/5/22 5:07 pm
Topic: RE: Iron supplements

It's been 14 years since surgery. Unfortunately, have not been on the site for at least 2 years and the site seems different to navigate and I can't find the info I'm looking for. So I'll apologize if this has been answered before etc.

I am anemic and have gotten a few iron infusions in the last 5 years. My regular doc keeps asking me to take iron pills but I don't like how they make me feel. Plus a hematologist told me in the past that they won't work because of the surgery.

I read somewhere about an iron supplement that is good for those who had VSG.

Please tell me what what works for you. TIA

~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/7/11 10:45 pm
Topic: RE: 4 Years Out
I am just about 3 years out and its exactly the same for me as Lynn. I do exercise though to stay toned but I havent been consistant lately but summer is coming and do want to try and lose 10-20 lbs. But I am happy at a size 16, sometimes 16W. Wear XL tops. Im just happy I dont have to shop at Lane bryant anymore. I just hate the muffin top though. If I didnt have that I would be perfect in my eyes. I do plan to have a tummy tuck one day.

When I see family eat I cant believe how much they can eat and I used to eat like that! and they are "average size" I am very happy I cant eat like that anymore. I can never eat more than half my meal at a restaurant. My food portions at home are like for a toddler.

I still believe VSG was the best thing for me!

PS I havent been on OH for over year and Im here today because I do want to get back on track. Just because ,weight loss aside, its best to eat healthy and I havent been doing that lately. So im here to get inspired to keep my goal alive!

Best wishes to all the newbies!!!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/26/09 6:43 am
Topic: RE: Today is 1 year out!
wow Lori you are doing awesome!!

another thing I have been doing wrong is staying from OH. I need to check in once a day to remind me of what I need to do.

Snacking is almost daily. and grazing is also a problem. Maybe if I say Friday is snack night but healthy snacks. i have don the nuts cheeses and such, I got away from that too.

I do everything at the Y 3-5 days a week.  I try to keep my body guessing too but I think its on to me! lol

I was staying away form bread, pasta and rice for awhile but Im eating it agian just not as much. so it is a good idea to back off.

I know the immersion test would be the best but I htink I will keep that number

I will take you up on your offer so look for my pm.

thanks so much! This is what I needed!

Keep up the good work!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/26/09 6:25 am
Oh I forgot to add congrats on your loss. we should see who can get to onederland first!!! Ill be watching you!!  How long do you think it will take?
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/26/09 6:21 am
Thanks MC!

I also usually use the eliptical if I dont go to an aerobic class but I do do a little of everything. My arms are toned except for my bat wings I plan to get them removed in the future also along with my inner thighs, they are the worst. I will post 1 year pics soon.

I hope surgery in general will put my mind in a better place so I can get back to basics.
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/26/09 6:14 am
Thank you mydear

Ive been trying to talk myself into doing the liquid diet for awhile now. Its the first two days of the pouch test. I just have to get my mind set and do it! I also did it the week before surgery and lost 10 lbs so I know I can do it!

Your doing great! Keep up the good work!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/26/09 2:34 am
Time does fly!
VSG has been the best thing I have done for myself and have no regrets!
BUT...
I do feel a bit of a failure. I have stopped losing 6 months ago! My own fault of course. My portions are controlled now but I still like to eat. I go back and forth with eating healthy and not so healthy. I still do protein first and pick higher protein items but I still like to snack. Head hunger is still an issue for me. I still like food and eat becaseu its there. I guess in my head I felt its ok since I cant eat much. and it hasnt been too bad since I havent gained but I havent lost anymore and that does depress me.
I do exercise alot and strenuous so maybe that is why I havent gained either.
In January I started "dieting" . tracked food on fitday.com again exercised 6 days a week and was really strict and I lost nothing!! even gained a pound that first week. So I felt why am I breaking my ass like this to get no results. I mean this is one reason I got the surgery so I dont have to do this to myself anymore. needless to say I got back off track becasue it was so frustrating.
I have been fighting this for months. I need to get back on track. I guess how you eat the first couple months out is the way you are suppose to eat the rest of your life...duh!  lol

Eating poorly your whole life doesnt change in a year for me and Im sure for most. I wish I have been stronger!
so with that all being said the advice I give to all you newly sleeved and about to be sleeved stick to the program! Remember its only a tool!!

One thing to add. I had a body compostione done at the Y. I havae 23% body fat. On average, female athletes have a body fat score of 12-22% so I was like wow! I was told my body fat score is "Ideal" and no weight loss was reccomended.  so how confusing is that. Im over 200 lbs and considered to have ideal weight!  Here I think I need to lose like 40 lbs to be considered "normal" weight according to BMI. I did read on about BMI and BMR (ithink that is what it is) so really BMI is not that accurate since its only going by height and weight. It doesnt consider your build. I have always been on the muscle side.
So having 23% body fat does make me feel better.  but it is still hard to see everyone still losing  but again I know it is my own fault.

I went from 285 lbs wearing a 3x and size 22-24 pants to now 214 on a good day wearing  L-XL top and size 14 pants.  I am happy with that but I really like to be under 200. 197 to be just overweight so that is still my goal to be 197 and that will be ok if 175 never comes.
I have an umbilical hernia that needs to be repaired and I am hoping to have a tummy tuck at the same time to get rid of the muffin top. I go for my first labs since surgery next month (no insurance until now) so I look forward to seeing those results.

Good luck to everyone!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 2/26/09 2:01 am
Topic: RE: SOS-I'm failing fast sleeve sistas and brothas
I had a hard time with fluids at first but each day I was able to drink more. I really didnt like water after surgery so I drank the low calorie gatorade G2, I tried isopure with lots of ice and propel  in straw-kiwi. they were much easier to get down than water for some reason. It s so important to stay hydrated so find something you like to drink and sip all day.
I added new-whey protein with 42g of protein to my G2 so I got my protein with my fluids. I didnt worry about anything else the first week. I liked fruit punch, orange and grape for both. You mix grape with grape etc. 
The second week I lived on high protein chocolate slimfast. One scoop to 16 oz of fat free milk. and that has vitamins so you dont have worry there. I also drank broth with unflavored protein powder.

Just stay hydrated and everythign will be ok.

Best wishes!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 1/26/09 11:34 am
Topic: RE: I FEEL SEXY!
You look great Jenny! Keep up the good work!!

Has your been faling out any? Mine finally feels like it is filling in. sO Im just letting it grow a bit then get a good cut. I would like to go shoulder lenght and go back to more of my natural curls. We'll see what happens.

~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 1/26/09 9:41 am
Topic: RE: Dr. Alvarez Reunion in Vegas anyone?
I wanted to be there but the funds are just not there this time  maybe next year!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 1/26/09 9:33 am
Topic: RE: I Hate Protein Shakes
G2 is the low calorie Gatorade.
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 1/24/09 3:45 pm
Topic: RE: I Hate Protein Shakes
I like the New-whey mixed with the same flavor G2. I can only taste the G2. Fruit punch, grape and orange I tried and like them all.
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 12/20/08 11:53 am
Topic: RE: Wanting to know is anyone like me
An easy way to get calories, fluids and protein at the same time would be gettting New-Whey protein liquid, bullets as we refer to them. You can find them at GNC. I bought a case before surgery and used them the first month or two post-op. They come in a 3oz tube in many flavors with 42 grams of protein.
I mixed fruit punch with fruit punch G2 low cal gatorade. the only thing I could taste is the G2. I also like grape with grape G2. I didnt try lime but I would imagine it would be good since I really like lime G2. Right now you dont even have to get low cal gatorade since you are not eating. Its important you get some calories. Just mix it to your preference. You could pour one bullet in a G2 and sip all day or pour a glass of G2 with half the bullet and then do it again later in the day.
Maybe its just too early for you to start "eating" dont stress about it. But its very important to get in fluids so you dont get dehydrated. I really didnt drink plain water post-op and still dont. I dont like it as much as pre-op and it gives me heartburn which I think is odd.

The first two month post up (once on full liquids) I lived on chocolate high protein slimfast powder 1 scoop mixed with 16oz fat free milk, G2 with protein bullets and broth sometimes mixed with unflavored protein powder.

If you can get two slimfasts and a 32 oz G2 w/a bullet in each day  you are looking at more than enough calories, fluids and protein to feel better and start losing again.  try eating as you can as you want.
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 12/10/08 2:53 pm
Topic: RE: Recovery time and having a 2 yr old...a few questions for VSGers
I was fine from day one. everyone is different as you know. I was just on slow speed for awhile. If I worked I could have went back after a week.

my son was almost two when I had surgery and he is a big boy! I did not lift him for a month. In the weeks before surgery I taught him to climb in the van and carseat and eat at the kitchen table instead of his highchair. I also taught him how to climb in his crib with the help of me and a rocker for naps when no one was home. His dad or sister put him in his crib at night and got him out of his crib in the morning. we did fine.

Unfortunately I can eat anything and its more unfortunate that I tried  lol after the first month of liquids and mushies. You just learn to eat a healthy diet. High protein of course, low carb and watch your fat

I had a great experieence from the beginning. The only difference now from pre-op is I cant eat as much and Im 75 lbs lighter!!!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 12/10/08 8:14 am
Topic: RE: Cholesterol/Triglyceride levels
Wow! I didnt know this could happen. Is this the norm for after WLS? Before surgery I was high in the normal range so I wonder if I am back up out of range again. I hope to have insurance in the next 3 months so I can get everything checked out.
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 12/9/08 4:33 am
Topic: RE: My choice - so I need advice
I am 5'8" and started at 285 and lost 75 lbs in 6.5 months without really trying. Its awesome! I wouldhave lost more in the last two months but I fell back into some old habits. Im working on it and I know I will reach goal eventually hopefully by one year but hey it didnt take me a year to get to 285 so I am being patient. i am 210 now and my goal is 175.
this has been the best thing I ahve done for myself!
welcome to the board! 
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 12/8/08 12:30 pm
Topic: RE: I know that this topic has been beaten to death but...
Sorry I dont have an answer for you but I just wanted to say that you look awesome!!! Dont let anyone make you thinkyou look too thin. I think they are just not used to seeing you at this weight "normal".
My daughters father asked me if I stopped eating, he thought my face was too thin. He is just not used to seeing me this way. I still have a good 35 lbs to go!

yOu have been doing great girlie!!!! You are down 20 more than me and I am a month longer out and 5'8". Just what I needed to get back to losing again. I havent lost in  over two months : ( sometimes I think this will be it but I know I can do it if I put my mind to it.
You definitely got me motivated!!!

Keep up the good work!!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:51 am
Topic: RE: Time to take responsibility!
thanks for your post!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:50 am
Thanks for your post!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:49 am
I am happy where I am but still considered obese. What makes me feel good is accomplishing  what I know I can. I can do this!!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:34 am
thanks, that is the message I wanted to send!
Best wishes for a great surgery and recovery!!!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:32 am
Thanks, will do!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:30 am
thanks! I needed to hear it like it is!!!
~Andrea~

Andrea D.
on 11/6/08 8:17 am
That is another reason I posted this today, not just for myself but to let newbies know of what struggles could lie ahead of them.
Old habits die hard!

I WILL get back on track!
thanks for your post.
~Andrea~

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views