Am I dreaming that this can happen to me too?

mary A.
on 10/14/10 9:39 am - new lisbon, WI
I am so confused now. Looking over this sight I do find lots of information and I just love reading your life stories on how you have achived your weight goals. My story may be alittle different. I am 4"11 and weigh 177 lbs. To some of you it may not seem like alot, but to a short person it is. I also have alot of the health issues that go with being over weight. My BMI is 37. I really what to go the way of WLS to help with the health issues. And of course it doesn't hurt to have the weight loss too.
Is there anyone out there that has also chosen WLS for the health benifits when you only have around 50-60 lbs to lose? Or am I dreaming that this can happen to me too. That I can be healthy?

Hey Jules
on 10/17/10 1:23 am
Check out the BMI calculator on OH:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/bmicalc .php

Your BMI is only 35.7, but you still qualify for any weight loss surgery. Usually it is a BMI of 35 plus 2 comorbidities, or a BMI of 40. Which health issues (comorbidities) do you have? You should probably look into having the Vertical Sleeve surgery. It is a restrictive only surgery, that removes about 85% of your stomach. It is the first part of another procedure called the Duodenal Switch. If you have type 2 Diabetes, the DS is the best chance of curing it before you even leave the hospital. Do lots and lots of research on all of the procedures and good luck to you!

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

silli-jilli
on 10/28/10 4:35 am - WI
the best thing for you to do is to find a Center of Excellence and attend a bariatric information session there. I know at ThedaClark (Midwest Bariatrics) they offer many sessions each month. At that session you would be able to get the information needed and can also ask a dr. these questions.

With only that amount to lose, I wonder if they would suggest the lap band? Really, though, you need to attend an information session somewhere and get some good data. THEN make the choice of what type of surgery is BEST for YOU.

Good luck! :)
Most Active