Finally My Prayers Are Answered!

Porcy1
on 3/28/11 12:53 pm - Franklin, WI
The time has come! The case manager in charge of my authorization at the insurance company FOUGHT for me! They had never had anyone seeking a DS before, but she managed to get it approved in a few weeks!!!!
So I will be "switched" on April 22, 2011 by Dr. Engstrand! I have been praying for this for many years....I am SO excited!

Mike P.
on 3/29/11 1:43 pm - WI
Yea! Congrats to you!! 
silli-jilli
on 3/29/11 11:28 pm - WI
cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats!
Porcy1
on 3/30/11 10:12 am - Franklin, WI
Thank you!!!!!
Helen C.
on 4/1/11 8:50 pm - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Congrats!!! So glad you were able to fight for and get to have your DS. We will keep a spot warm for you on the losers bench!

Hey Jules
on 4/7/11 4:09 am
 Congrats! I had my DS with Dr. Engstrand 2 years ago and I am extremely happy with him and my surgery. Any questions, I'd be glad to help out.

Take care,
Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

Porcy1
on 4/9/11 2:26 am - Franklin, WI
Thanks Jules!
I do have a question about common channel...Im sure I shoudl know this and feel kinda dumb asking, but the length determines amount of absorption right? So Dr E told me he estimates mine will be about 150...so is that good for better absorption or doesa longer cc mean better absorption?
Thanks!
Hey Jules
on 4/10/11 11:46 pm
Don't feel dumb at all! That's an important question. Yes, 150 is just a little bit more than your average DS'er. I think the most common size is 100, but the difference is really insignificant. 

Check out the lab rat data website for a long list of people and their common channel lengths, as well as other stats like stomach size, height and weight.

http://www.epursimuove.com/ds/

Longer common channel = more absorption.

Have faith in Dr. Engstrand, he really knows what he is doing. I recently had a discussion with him about common channel. I think he bases it upon your individual criteria, like how much weight you need to lose. 

Some surgeons use the Hess method, which (I think) involves measure your entire bowel length and making it a certain percentage, so that makes the common channel different for each person.

I have 150 cm common channel and I don't have any horrible bathroom issues or malnutrition issues.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Jules

Porcy1
on 4/11/11 2:01 pm - Franklin, WI
Awesome! Thanks so much...I'm glad to hear that you don't have issues...I am so worried about Vites...you hear one thing from the Docs and then another from the vets...I am getting nervous about how many and how much! Now I know I will have a little bit more absorption...thats a relief!
I do really like Dr E and I trust what he tells me, so it really is great to hear these things from someone who has had all the experiences with him personally! I am so grateful for your help! Thanks again!
Hey Jules
on 4/13/11 6:09 am
 You're welcome!

I was worried about the vitamins as well, but it has really hasn't been an issue for me. I have 2 big pill keepers:
Four times per day weekly pill box organizer composite. One Week Pill Organizer I always have my vitamins on me this way. If I'm eating, I'm taking vitamins. I take 15 vites a day (including a probiotic) and I base my vitamin schedule on my labs. It's very important to get your bloodwork done and keep track of your levels.

Most of us on here get most of our vitamins from www.vitalady.com. She understands our needs and sells the correction dry versions of the vitamins we need. Here is a link that shows her DS vitamin schedule:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3815623/Trying-to-Paste -VitaLadys-DS-Schedule/

Come and visit us on the DS forum, there are a bunch of very smart, friendly people there!

Take care,
Jules

Most Active