Pain level (Abdominal Hysterectomy 'vs' WLS) ??

Melissa H.
on 6/24/03 7:47 am
I had a abdominal hysterectomy done 2 years ago and am also waiting on my insurance approval for WLS. I was wondering if anyone out there has had both of these surgeries and could compare the pain levels for me! I am so scared to go through all that pain again however am confident that I want to do this! Any info on this would help =) Melissa H
Deb L.
on 7/9/03 1:54 pm - Brookfield, WI
I had an abdominal hysterectomy 6 years ago. I had lap band surgery 1 week ago. Hysterectomy pain for me was at least 10 times worse than the lap band. Right now I am extremely tired, lacking in energy and have on and off pain from the incision where the port is. The pain usually just occurs when I stand up or sit down. If I am already sitting or laying down, I have absolutely no pain, and really only did for the first 4 days. I thought I would die from my hys. pain. It lasted many weeks, it took me about 8 months to get back to normal. Hope that helps! Deb
Beaumom
on 7/13/03 9:40 am - Green Bay, WI
Hi Melissa, I never had surgery before my open RNY and had no idea how I would respond. I did NOT have adequate pain control coming out of surgery. I got to my room about 3:30 and with PCA (patient controlled morphine), did not experience any relief until 10:30pm. That was with pushing the button every 10 minutes, as soon as it allowed me to pu**** Friday I had pain relief, but it still hurt like crazy when moving. Saturday was much better. I was moving better and able to sit up in a chair for 2 hours. I would advise having someone there with you, a person with some medical experience if possible. Someone to be your advocate when you can't speak for yourself. I did and than gave me great peace of mind. My pain is much better now at day 10. I haven't had anything for pain today. I could have stopped taking the narcotic pain reliever 2 days ago...but didn't have any tylenol in the house. My mistake. Good luck. I think it's kind of like having a baby (Never had one of those either, but worked OB for years), the memory of the pain fades with time.
Most Active