New here, considering the drastic surgery and not sure what to do ...

Wendy P.
on 7/14/03 8:01 am - Green Bay, WI
Hello everyone I am new here and I am in a very good place right now to be able to consider the surgery. I am 35 now and im 5'2 at 329lbs and was told Im in pretty good physical shape (on paper). The homework on the surgery has scarred the heck out of me to the point where I dont know if I am ready for the dangers and risks associalted with the surgery. I dont like the possibly death part of the surgery. I take care of my mother who has MS and I am a single parent of a 15 year old son who would both be lost if I would die. I dont really know what I am going to do so I thought I would try to meet some of you and get some feed back....Thank you very much!
Patricia G.
on 7/14/03 11:17 am - Racine, WI
Wendy, The surgery scares me too - it is a big step and requires serious consideration. I have decided to go ahead with it because I know that in spite of the risks, life on the other side will be better, healthier and happier for me and everyone else around me. Pat
Jacqueline N.
on 7/14/03 11:33 am - Pulaski, WI
Hi Wendy, I am having Cindy Geocaris do my surgery and it is going to be August 4th. I am 34 and I have 3 girls 14,11, 5 years old. I am in good shape but I do have the beginning stages of diabetes. But if you would like to keep in touch and see how things went for me. or even if you would like to chat before hand I am around I am off for the summer. hugsssssss Jackie
vorth
on 7/14/03 12:07 pm - Mineral Point, WI
Wendy: I wish you the best in your decision. I know this is the correct option for me since this is my second time going thru it. I had the VBG in 1997 and it failed. (up until months ago, I thought I had failed....) I have been overweight since grade school. I am going to be 37 in September and also have 3 children (12, 10 & 3). It is very scary to consider surgery, especially for me the second time. I am also pretty healthy as well. My blood pressure is somewhat high, but not skyrocketing as of now. I have had asthma my entire life. Just recently I was diagnosed with acid reflux, possible sleep apnea and wearing out of my knee joints. As time progresses and my weight stays high, I am only asking for trouble with future problems. The best time to do this surgery is before all the problems set in. The risks are not as high I feel. It is not an easy decision and should not be made overnight. I wish you the best as you consider this option. I am having a revision done (RNY) on August 13. Gods Blessing to you!
Loraine K.
on 7/14/03 12:39 pm - WI
Wendy, it is a serious surgery. I had serious complications...had a lap RNY then ended up with an open one month later-to stop an arterial bleed. If you would have asked me after my second surgery I would have said =that I was very very sorry I did this. But, time heals...so does your body. I look better, I feel better, my kidney function has improved considerably, plus I no longer have sleep apnea. I think "open" verses "lap" may be better... Pray for your answer...take care. Loraine K.
TraK41
on 7/14/03 1:25 pm - Waukesha, WI
Hi Wendy! I am glad you are here! I had surgery on June 2nd here in Milwaukee. I am a single mom with 2 boys. I would love to talk with you more. Please feel free to email me at [email protected]. I would be happy to share some thoughts with you about the surgery, both pre and post op! God bless you with your decision! Traci - Post op June 2, 2003
Carol B.
on 7/20/03 7:20 am - Waukesha, WI
Hi Wendy - Whatever you decide about the surgery: to have it now, never to have it, or to have it sometime later in your life - it will be the right decision. You, and only you, can know deep inside what's right for you and for your family at this time. I am 55 and 5'2 and 348 lbs. I only wish that I was 35 yo and finding out about this surgery. But then 20 years ago would not have been the right time for me to do it, even if I had known about it back then. So good luck with your journey of discovery and learning and know that you can use all of us for support and as a sounding board. Carol
Most Active