How difficult will it be for me to qualify?

Jessica J.
on 8/21/03 12:32 am - Milwaukee, WI
Is there anyone who hasa been approved with a BMI of 40? I wonder if it will be difficult for me to qualify for a surgical treatment.
txkar
on 8/21/03 9:28 am - Azle, TX
It will depend on what your insurance policy says. Also, if you have any co-morbisities....high blood preasure, high cholesteral, joint pain anything like that also may determine coverage. Good Luck and best wishes Kathy
Char H.
on 9/4/03 6:58 am - Rockford, IL
Jessica - I too had a low BMI. When I started the process it was 38.5, but because of my other health problems, i.e. 3 back surgeries, high blood pressure, family history of diabetes, etc. my doctor said he would agree to do the surgery on me. I didn't have any problems with my insurance and was approved within 10 days. Then by the time I had the surgery my BMI was up to 43! I was eating everything that couldn't run away from me . So if you have any other health problems, you can probably get approved. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. Alot of people did not understand why I would even consider the surgery since I was not THAT MUCH overweight. I stood my ground and had the surgery on 6/23/03. I am down 53 pounds and feel great. No more sore knees and my back it doing better too. I am off all of my high blood pressure pills. Anyway, to answer you question, yes I believe that you could get approved. Feel free to e-mail me with any other quesitons at [email protected]. Make sure you put WLS in the subject line so I don't delete it. Char
Most Active